EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Secondary Leaking adjustment

Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:23 am

My secondary (conshelf XIV) had a slight leak by. I swapped it for a spare secondary for today's dive. The spare was leaking by as well. I tried 2 other regulators from loaner kits on the boat and had the same results. Verified they were good with a normal 1st stage setup.

What adjustment needs to be made to correct this issue?

EDIT
I just visited one of the local dive shops here in Bahrain.

"I'm scuba pro. I don't have tool for this regulator. I don't have parts for this regulator. I'm Scuba pro. This is an expensive regulator. I won't touch it. I know Scuba pro."

If this is something I can adjust myself please let me know. If it needs a full service, who can accomplish it?

Edit#2

I was able to find an IP Gauge and I'm sitting at 200 PSI after each cycle.

Jim

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Re: Secondary Leaking adjustment

Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:55 pm

Sounds like a HP seat failure, maybe a nick in the volcano orifice or a bit of salt from seawater that got in and is fouling the seal on the seat? Maybe the spring... or backup oring on the HP seat stem has falied? I run my conshelfs at 140psi IP. Maybe someone smarter than me could be of better help but that would be my first thought.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:46 pm

If you know how, simply adjust the IP down to 135 and see if it holds.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:42 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:46 pm
If you know how, simply adjust the IP down to 135 and see if it holds.
How much resistance should there be on the IP adjustment? And should it tighten or loosen?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:43 am

Right turn will increase IP, left turn will decrease IP. It usually takes a fair amount of force but be careful as not much movement of the hex nut is needed.

M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:55 am

If the IP is leaking up to 200 psi, the 1st stage is most likely leaking and needs service.

There is a very remote chance that the adjustment spring has being tighten too much and it is fully compressed. Therefore, you can try turning the adjustment screw counter-clockwise just a tad while checking the IP. Then continue to monitor the IP. There is a very small chance that that doing this will solve that high IP, but it is worth a try.

If the IP continues to to drift after you have done this, have it serviced.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”