subpilotjon
Skin Diver
First Name: Jon

Guy Kilpatric-The Compleat Goggler

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Trying to research my first edition copy of Guy Gilpatrick's "The Compleat Goggler" 1938 but this copy is an English version printed by John Lane the Bodley Head Limited London. according to the research I've done this first edition version came out the same year of the Dodd-Mead editions...the Book is in exceptional condition, barely any sign of any type of wear, no worn cover, back or spine tears or frayed edges. pages clean and in very fine condition. but is minus a dust jacket...the cover is off white-yellow with an blue/green octopus image on the front...I'm curious if anyone knows how many of this version were printed? and it's estimated value to insure it?
Thanks, Jon

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Guy Kilpatric-The Compleat Goggler

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:14 pm

A while back there was a discussion of the book.

See: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1704

Don't know if these discussions answer any of your questions. A friend told me there was a lengthy discussion on SB as well so you might search for that thread.

Good luck,

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:14 am

Here's an image of the missing dust cover of the 1938 Bodley Head edition:
Have you seen the web page where this picture appears:
http://classicdivebooks.customer.netspa ... atric.html
If not, it contains some interesting bibliographical information about Gilpatric's oeuvre, including some data about the prices particular editions fetched on eBay and elsewhere. One of the interesting factoids on this page is that much of Gilpatric's text dates from before 1938, having been previously published as a "collection of short stories that had appeared in the Saturday Evening Post, a very popular magazine of that era". The Classic Diving Books site is a "must" for researching historical diving literature.

I have a copy of the Dodd, Mead and Co. / Skin Diver Magazine version, dated 1957 with the price ($5) and the note "damaged spine" on the inside page in pencil, written by the proprietor of one of the many used book stores I've visited over the decades.

As for the Scubaboard discussion of the Compleat Goggler, here is one possible thread from 2009:
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/thr ... er.312919/

subpilotjon
Skin Diver
First Name: Jon

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Yes, thank you, I did locate that site..I've looked at it before and it's a great resource for certain aspects of the history, i.e. various printing appearances etc..... I was hoping to locate some particulars regarding numbers of copies released, to get a sense of just how rare these versions are.. aside from just having trouble locating them, it would be nice to get an understanding if there were 2,000 copies or 200?
On Pg. 9 of the Goggler it's pretty clear it's from 1938... won't see much with text like that today! grin

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:41 pm

I would love to aquire a good original copy. Guy inspired many of the pioneers of scuba to include Cousteau and Hans Hass.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”