Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Book as a gift for somebody contemplating vintage diving?

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:20 am

In another thread, Ron's comment "Dive is one of my favorite books on diving, and I often give it as a gift" caught my attention and made me ponder what book I would give to an acquaintance, friend or relative, young or old, to introduce them to the history of diving, or modern-day vintage diving. I dare say many of today's young divers could do with a bit more knowledge, and appreciation, of the past in diving so that they can understand better how the pioneer days eventually led to what is now current practice.

Which book titles would you recommend as a gift to increase understanding of what vintage/historical diving is all about? And why would you recommend those titles in particular, and which kind of "gift recipient" would you have in mind (age-group, gender, beginning or experienced diver etc)?

Just curious... :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Book as a gift for somebody contemplating vintage diving

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:21 am

Shallow Water Diving and Spear fishing, Kendall and Schneck 1954. This book covers all types of diving as it was in 1954 when it came out. Helmet, air supplied mask, rebreather and open circuit are covered. I studied this book before I started diving in the 70's. If your interested in diving at all, it's a great read.

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Re: Book as a gift for somebody contemplating vintage diving

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:29 pm

I would recommend Diver Below! The Complete Guide to Skin and Scuba Diving by Hank and Shaney Frey (Collier 1969). It is very well written and is easy to read. Excellent illustrations and many photographs (many from Skin Diver magazine).

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”