DOXA diving watches and DOXA watch book

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:06 pm

THE WATCH...DOXA

THE BOOK....The DOXA SUB, forty years. 1967-2007

THE AUTHOR...Dr. Pete Millar

The Swiss made DOXA watch was introduced by US Divers of Santa Ana, California in their 1968 catalog. These models were the only models to feature the US Diver Logo with a US divers double hose regulator and tank with "Aqua Lung" printed horizontally across the tank. Sadly they were produced for only a short period of time and currently demanding premium, prices on the used watch market.

The watch was marketed in only one model the "DOXA sub" which was offered in 3 faces, black,Silver and bright Orange. The black faced one was listed as part number #7269 aka "Shark Hunter," silver, part number #7270 aka "Sea Rambler," and the popular orange faced model as part number 7268 "The Professional" and retailed for $150.00 hard earned California dollars.

A few years later the original Doxa models were followed by other Doxa models such as the Doxa Chronograph, retail $250.00 the smaller mini Doxa retail $170.00 and the Conquistador listed at retail $175.00 in the US Divers commercial catalog of that era.

It is the original Orange faced Doxa watch that made an immediate impact on the diving world. Prior to its introduction the majority of the diving watches were smaller in size, often the bezel rotated both left and right, most were black faced making them difficult, if not almost impossible to read in low light conditions, therefore most were difficult to use as an effective diving decompression tool, and guaranteed to eventually leak- (Before the Doxa I never owned a dive watch I couldn't flood)

The Orange faced model has been made even more famous by the diving adventure author Clive Cussler whose main fictional character Dirk Pitt, always wears an orange faced original DOXA as does Clive in the pictures of him and Dirk's autos on the back of his numerous books.

Clive was introduced to the orange faced DOXA while employed at the Aquatic Center on Harbor Boulevard in Santa Ana, California were, between customers, he collected information to do character studies and wrote the his first two of his many diving based novels, "Ice Berg" and "Raise the Titanic." During this era there were only a few active Underwater Instructors for all of Orange county; All certified by LA County; a few had crossed over LA county to NAUI which had just recently been established but no PADI which was not even a dream of the future in the minds of Chicagoans Cronin, Erikson and Chow.

LA Co Instructor and US Diver's PR Tommy Thompson made an offer to the active LA County Certified instructors residing in Orange County for the Oranged faced Doxas Doxas that they could not refuse. Jobber price- The lowest the watch could possibly be sold

It was in this setting that Clive Cussler was exposed to the magic glow of the orange faced Doxa sub; it was the sign the symbol of the OC instructors and on occasion, since diver ranking had been established but rejected by LA Co and NAUI, also the sign of what was then refereed to as a "serious diver."

Clive's first book "Ice berg" received an equally cold reception only 5000 were printed in hard cover and immediately went to soft cover trade paper back. A some time later "Raise the Titanic" was printed and became a run away best seller and Clive was on his way to literary immortality.

With income from his books Clive could now devote his life to research and writing books, so he gave notice to the Aquatic Center that he was terminating his employment. As a going away present the owners of the Aquatic Center presented Clive with his very own orange faced US Divers Doxa sub. Clive in turn immortalized the owners in Raise the Titanic, the late Dick Spencer aka "Spence," Al "O" Woods aka "Woodson" and Sam Merker was a complation of two of Clive's major antagonist as "Sam Merker." (aka SAM Miller and Ron MERKER.) Clive has continued to write to this day with the very same Orange faced Doxa on his and his fictional hero Dirk Pitt's wrist and has continued to include his major antagonist buried within his many published books.

The book "The DOXA sub, forty years 1967-2007," Was introduced in May 2007 to the diving bibliophile and diving watch collecting world in a hard cover, jacketed edition. As should befitting a DOXA watch the book was printed on very high grade glossy paper, it measures 8-1/2 inches by 11 inches by 1 inch thick. Between the bright orange covers are 278 information filled pages loaded with photographs and descriptions of the of the various models. The book "DOXA sub" is the first and only book printed to accurately document the origins of a diving watch and has immediately became a diving book classic upon its release. It is the definitive book on this historic watch.

It is predicted that the book "The Doxa sub" will escalate in value many times over in a record time. It will no doubt be as collectable and desirable as Leon Lyons definitive book "Helmets of the deep," It retailed for $300.00 upon release, now 12 years after its printing is selling for in excess of $4000.00 and Torrance Parker's "20,000 Jobs under the sea," which originally sold for $85.00 are currently selling for around $800.00 and is on its way to $1000 a copy. So it will be with the new book on the market "Doxa sub;forty years, 1967-2007."

The author, Dr. Pete Millar, is a well known medical doctor in Aurora,Illinois enthusastic diver a world renown expert on Doxa watches. Dr Millar spent many years collecting, overhauling and cataloging Doxas watches and untold dollars researching and publishing this monumental book.

With its publication DOXA sub-forty years 1967-2007 Dr. Millar has created a great book and a created a lasting tribute to diving world.

Interested in the book? It may be ordered through the Doxa web site for $79.00 +$20.00 Shipping with in the US. But you better hurry, it is a limited edition book and the supply is very limit.

Yes, I have and am currently wearing a 1968 US Divers logo Orange faced Doxa sub and Dr. Millar was kind enough to send me a complementary inscribed DOXA SUB -Forty Years -1967-2007. The watch ad the book have already become family heirlooms to be passed down to future generations

SDM

Re: DOXA diving watches and DOXA watch book

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 pm

This post was a waste of my time and effort!

I suspect most have never read Clive's books or have never seen a DOXA

SDM

kgehring
Master Diver

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Great write up! I have a Aqualung Orange face watch. Thanks for your writings.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Clive Cussler is one of the most prolific authors that pens adventure and action novels. From Dirk Pitt to Kurt Austin to the Oregon crew, with the Fargos, and Issac Bell, he has used diving as a core to most of his stories. At one time his website or NUMA's offered an orange Doxa watch for sale.
Thanks Doc for the history behind the watch. Someday one might happen this way.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Nemrod, Karl, Rob S are all DOXA watch nuts. Despite my years of admiration I have never been able to part with the $$$ to buy one. My pre-TAG Heuer has served me well for 32yrs. Perhaps someday :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:23 pm

The rest of the story...
Clive was officially certified by Ron Merker and gave him an LA Co basic diver card. I was the ancillary instructor and presented him with a NAUI basic diver card, which e wanted because to my low NAUI instructor number which is 27.

Ron and I were Clive's biggest antagonist. Always making friendly jibs about him writing the great American diving novel. He had is first one published with only 5000 copies printed, then came the big one "Raise the Titanic." This is where he got even...SAM MERKER as some of you recall or can research was short, fat, ugly, black, a traitor and was killed. Even so we have all remained friends.

Over the years I can recognize Ron, Omar , Dick and I in the charterer's in his may books especially the earlier ones. I have been portrayed as Sam Quaid (He refereed to me often as Samuel "Q" Miller I assume after our early president) Sam Triad ( I am Sam 111) Admiral Sam Mittler (I was a USAF officer)and much more that I can't recall at this writing, but all of the Sams are generally me.

I was portrayed as Doc Miller in the book "Sahara," early on I was shot with a .45 between the eyes. The family questioned who would play me in the movie. I said Robert Redford or Brad Pitt, but there was no Doc Miller in that horrible movie.

So now you know a little about the rest of the story...there's is a lot more!

SDM

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 am

At the very least this encouraged me to go out and buy a Clive Cussler book.
BTW the rest is very informative and interesting, thank you for sharing.
-Geoff

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”