Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Anti double hose propaganda

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Does anyone remember what kind of a campain happened in the 70's to kill double hose sales? What kind of a hate smear took place for the anti double hose mentality to still be going strong fourty years later. Did the breathing of single hoses progress so far past a factory DAAM that no one wanted to buy one? The only stock double I have is my Voit 50, and I happily dive it over my rebuilt 109.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Chris
Master Diver

Re: Anti double hose propaganda

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 am

Yeah, we all own single hoses. But you can't deny a double hose makes you feel like a stronger diver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 am

- I'm with you Tripplec... I NEVER dive single hose regs. AND my 50 Fathom is one of my favorites. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:17 pm

What you need is a Lawson Lung... best of both worlds :mrgreen:

http://frogmanmuseum.free.fr/html/regul ... lungen.htm

http://www.historicaldivingsociety.com. ... wson-lung/

Sydney divers were aware of the invention of the Cousteau/Gagnan Aqualung but none of these units were available in Australia. This led to group of Sydney diving enthusiasts, all members of the USFA, to band together in an attempt to build their own. An article in ‘Popular Mechanics’ provided the impetus to build a unit using an aircraft oxygen diluter, although the particular diluter recommended in ‘Popular Mechanics’ was not available.

Early experiments determined that breathing was easier in a swimming position with the demand valve below the chest, resulting in a unique harness design which carried the regulator across that area.

A high pressure hose was used to bring the air from two inverted tanks carried on the back and attached to the regulator harness. The regulator was attached by rings to the harness allowing an easy method of ditching the unit if an emergency occurred.
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 am

I'm still partial to my Snark III, which is currently apart on my kitchen table. There's nothing like the cool factor of a DH.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Dat B funny!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “General Discussions”