SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mistral Ridiculousity...

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:49 pm

- I've been watching an auction for one of the modern USD Mistral regulators that is missing the first stage. At first it looked like a possible bargain... After all, these modern Mistrals are basically a single hose first stage attached (with a short hose) to a single hose second stage with two corrugated hoses on it. If the second stage assembly could be bought for cheap, you could probably attach just about any 1st stage and get the thing up and running.

- But sure enough, the bidders caught a fever and pushed the price beyond ridiculousity... Last I looked it was over $600 and I think a decent shape complete Mistral can be had for less than that. :roll:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Mistral Ridiculousity...

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:57 pm

I saw a West Pico DA Aquamaster in crappy shape sell for $220 the other day. I guess something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 am

It would take some parts manufacture to fit the second stage onto a different (or Titan) first. The second stage is held on by a special spring retainer and environmental end cap....it could be done with most any diaphragm reg but it would take custom parts.....making something similar might be an interesting Luis project. :)
Herman

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:47 am

I saw that too. These non-divers think that just because they have a POS DAAM that it is automatically worth $300 or higher. They are basing this on some regulators that HAVE been rebuilt and are dive ready. I part 4 of my little series on regulator grading, I comment about people paying too much for regs as well as costs for rebuild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgzk35PgimU
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 am

No clue why but the link above takes me to about 15 minutes INTO the video.
Herman

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 am
No clue why but the link above takes me to about 15 minutes INTO the video.
Try it now Herman. If you copy the URL while it is playing it will drop you right back to where you left off. I copied the URL frpm the begining and replaced the above link with the new one. Sorry.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “General Discussions”