Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Great Article by our website administrator Ron

Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 am

Lots of props here for Vintage Equipment Diving :)

https://www.tdisdi.com/getting-bored-with-scuba/
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Great Article by our website administrator Ron

Mon May 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Nice article, Ron! There is a lot to agree with there.
One sentence in the final paragraph says a lot. "In closing, you need to make diving an adventure again". :D
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm

I got a lot of the material from you guys here. I think there's that common tone here that diving was a lot more fun before it became canned. Lots of things are that way. Travel, gun ranges, rock climbing, lots of things these days are boiled and reduced and eventually becomes someone's weird marketing ploy to generate money without a lot of thought into whether they are sucking the fun out of it or not. Then you take a bunch of pictures of it so you can brag on social media without ever having actually enjoyed the thing you are doing. It's much more important these days to appear to be doing something than to actually be doing it.

It's one of the reasons I don't have a Facebook, an Instagram, a Twitter, or anything social unrelated to my business. I get much more fun out of actually doing things. I think, for some people, it's the diametric opposite. I'd rather split logs for my fireplace than take pictures of my fireplace any day.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon May 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Social Media requires constant feeding and management and adds more to my daily tasks but pays good dividends for VDH in the long run. My personal social media is limited to looking at pictures of cats, guns, cars and chicks.....If you talk politics or have some agenda I just remove you from the list... My local community has a page and it has been a big help with neighbors and keeping current and really came in handy during last years hurricane..(it showed me real quick who NOT to befriend)
I have noticed that divers on boats once it leaves the dock do what divers do and start talking and conversing etc etc....Once the boat docks and gear is washed most go right to social media or something of that sort.
My 12 year old must have constant input of some kind. Left to her own devices she will watch YouTube, play Roblox or Minecraft for 16 hours straight....But if you ask her....Hey do you want to go do _______ Or go see ______ 9 times out of 10 she will jump at the chance to do something else.

I will admit that I daily stalk Hill and Mac Gunworks on social media so I can hand them my cash the day they start shipping STG44's 8) 8)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Man, I want one of those STG44's SO badly.

OregonDiver1
Lung Diver
First Name: Anthony

Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Those STG44s are coming along, albeit slowly. I'm a member of a forum that they post updates on. Its a complex task they are undertaking and they refuse to release the product until they know it is 100% right.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu May 24, 2018 8:44 am

Variety is the Spice of Vintage...
- In planning for this weekend's dive trip to Wazee, we are worrying ourselves over which of our favorites pieces of vintage dive gear to bring. Every dive we do has a different regulator, tanks, BCD, horse collar, or no BC, etc. I texted SheriffDiver "Should I brings my Twin 53s?" (because he too, has twin 53s). He replied "Bring 'em all!".
- This not only keeps things interesting, I think it keeps us sharp... Taking note of the differences in gear and capabilities for each dive. Some modern divers like to keep their gear the same every dive for familiarity in the event of an emergency. And there's something to be said for that. But changing everything every dive makes you check it thoroughly every dive, too. You can get complacent with equipment that never changes.
- Anyway, with vintage diving, I haven't gotten bored or stopped having fun yet. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Douchebag
Master Diver

Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm

I disagree with the main premise of the article but agree with most of the subordinate points.
Treating anything like a job (and I'm using profession and job interchangeably here) has a negative connotation to it. Whether it be conscious or sub conscious. This literally is something somebody needs to pay you to do, you're not doing it for free. Take a for instance, I'm sure Bryan loves his profession and learns stuff everyday, but I'm betting he ain't doing shit for free because he enjoys it so much. It's a way to feed his family, to put extra cash in the coffers for little extras like that STG44 (which by the way, when it's ready I will be in line for it). I don't do hobbies to be paid, I do them for fun. The chroming I did for Bryan and you guys was not to make money. Shit, all said and done I pretty much paid you guys to chrome. I did it for the fun of it. I really enjoyed it (and it may come back). But I never treated it like a job. I don't even treat my job like a job. I don't think I've ever been bored at a job. Once I see that setting in I take the initiative to change that. If I'm bored or stagnant, as the referenced article states, and do nothing to change it then I'm really just there for the paycheck. I could get a paycheck anywhere with a lot less responsibilities. Street corner comes to mind (some of you have seen my ass...you know I'd clean up).

I'll take this a step further. I gave up logging all my dives years ago. Please don't call the PADI police on me. But it got to a point where I was diving so much that logging everything became tedious and seemed like work. I don't dive to do more work. I dive for...wait for it... fun. I know my stats, and my wife's stats, well enough after years (nay decades) of diving that I don't need to go back to the log book for data anymore. After that, it got so much more fun. Post dive stories got way better and I wasn't having to make time to write some shit down (more time for beer). Given enough time the stories would get waaaay better. After a year or so that 3 foot fish grows to 5 feet. And given enough time that sucker will be twenty feet. But isn't that part of the experience? The fish that got away stories? Who needs facts written down to dispute that story? Not me.

Here's one of the points I completely agree with: Learn new things. Actually I use that in daily life. If I don't learn something new everyday I'm a little disappointed. If you're bored, it's your own fault. Take the initiative to learn something new. If you're bored at work is it really because you're not being challenged? Or is it because you're too lazy to stir up the status quo and ask your boss for new responsibilities? Is this more of you (using this in the general sense) putting the responsibility of engaging your intellect on somebody else? A lot of people will talk about "taking responsibility for their actions" yet will, in the same breath say, "I'm bored". It's not the world's responsibility to keep you entertained. This is more of my agreement with the subordinate point, if you're bored with diving...learn something new.

Since this thread took a detour about social media I'll take a stab at it. I'm not on it. I hate it. Try to find me on LinkedIn. If you want a direct correlation to why people complain about the "country going down the drain"... don't blame republicans or democrats, blame social media. Blame our voyeuristic mentality. Blame our basal instinct to be lazy. Did you know that there is a chip that can be implanted in a blind person's eye to help them see? Do you know who spear headed this? Probably not. It's not sensational enough. However, I'm betting that we all know who Kim Kardashian is. Ashamedly, I do as well. His name is Professor Eberhart Zrenner by the way.

You've probably noticed there was a lot of "I" in this. And that's because that's how I look at diving, my job, my career, my hobbies, etc. We're here for a fun time...not a long time. You can have your own view. I don't need to tell you that though. While I disagree with Ron's main premise, The points he makes are solid. Go learn something new, expand your mind, educate yourself, be a better you than you were yesterday. Or don't...I don't give a fuck.

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Stuff like this is why Douche is the man. It's hard to get real thoughts from people nowadays, mostly because lots of people are incredibly stupid and have no real thoughts. I appreciate your opinions, and I dig it.

Someone told me Africa was a country the other day...

We literally are, as a species, getting dumber:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/health/f ... index.html

Douchebag
Master Diver

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Ron wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 pm
Stuff like this is why Douche is the man. It's hard to get real thoughts from people nowadays, mostly because lots of people are incredibly stupid and have no real thoughts. I appreciate your opinions, and I dig it.

Someone told me Africa was a country the other day...

We literally are, as a species, getting dumber:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/health/f ... index.html
Really? I thought it was just a song by Toto.
See? I learned something new

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Did you see the rains down there?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Douchebag
Master Diver

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Bryan wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm
Did you see the rains down there?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
I blessed them even...

Return to “General Discussions”