Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Sea Hunt merchandising copyright?

Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 pm

I have some Sea Hunt merchandising ideas, mainly T shirts at this stage based on some iconic comic frames.

Sea Hunt's production company Ziv was purchased by United Artists in 1960.
Today, most of the rights to Ziv's TV shows are distributed by MGM Television, SFM Entertainment, and the Peter Rodgers Organization; some of them have fallen into the public domain.

Checking each of the above three links draws a blank for Sea Hunt...

Does anyone know who currently holds copyright on the original the Dell Four Color comic books?
Even uber collector Alec Peirce doesn't seem to know... and I want to do the right thing legally.

From what I can determine, Dell Comics ceased publication in 1974 with a few of its former titles moving to Gold Key Comics... but these did not include Sea Hunt.
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Re: Sea Hunt merchandising copyright?

Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 am

I don’t have an answer to your question but if you really want to do it right, hire a lawyer who specializes in copy right laws. I’m sure it’s a relatively easy search if you (meaning a lawyer) know where to look. Plus, for your own peace of mind, it sure would suck to invest time and money in to a project only to have a unexpected copyright issue pop up at the last minute. Just my thoughts on the matter, best of luck.
WWMND?
What Would Mike Nelson Do?

Return to “General Discussions”