mrepi2000
Diver
First Name: LB

Sea Hunt Drinking Game

Sun May 06, 2018 7:46 pm

I grew up on "Sea Hunt" and Mike Nelson was my hero. A few years ago I bought the full "Sea Hunt" series on DVD and have really enjoyed watching them again. Something I have noticed is how bad the continuity was in so many of the episodes. And by that, I mean that there often was not much of an attempt made to be sure the characters were wearing the same gear from scene to scene. Clearly, some of the guest characters were not divers and they would be show suiting up in the boat and the "underwater double" shown in the next scene would not have the same mask or fins or even sometimes the surface diver would have a single tank and underwater he/she might have on a set of doubles! I am sure many of you have noticed the same thing. I was watching an episode this morning ( great to watch while putting in my time on the treadmill) where the young woman at the surface had on a single 38 or 50 with the webbing basket harness and open toe fins. Underwater she had a single 72 with the metal bands with the webbing attached and Voit Viking fins. Hmmm... It occurred to me that a fun drinking game would be to watch Sea Hunt with other vintage gear folks and when an error appeared, the first person to shout it out would not drink and everyone else would. Or, that person would drink and nobody else would. Or, everybody would drink. Anyway, that was just a passing thought. Does me no good because, 1. I don't drink and 2. I don't have a group of vintage enthusiast friends. Like I said, just a thought...

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Sea Hunt Drinking Game

Sun May 06, 2018 7:56 pm

With the criteria of mismatched surface and underwater shots, many would get drunk very fast. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun May 06, 2018 9:06 pm

I can't find my Sea Hunt DVD's yet after moving. Sounds like a fun game, so can I just have a drink anyway for any of those discrepancies that I remember well? 8)
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 pm

antique diver wrote:
..... so can I just have a drink anyway for any of those discrepancies that I remember well? 8)
Bill, remember, it's better to ask forgiveness than seek permission. Besides, I don't recall either of us needing an actual bona fide reason to imbibe. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 pm
antique diver wrote:
..... so can I just have a drink anyway for any of those discrepancies that I remember well? 8)
Bill, remember, it's better to ask forgiveness than seek permission. Besides, I don't recall either of us needing an actual bona fide reason to imbibe. :D
OK, I guess we will be the first two players!

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 pm

I havent noticed too many gear changes. I first started to have my doubts, though, when he reached up and slammed the car trunk while holding his doubles in the same hand. Had to Google that one. I mostly look for acting flaws to use in my own spoof videos, like the searing white hot cutting torch. And a lot of punching people in the diaphragm. Ive never used an emergency sea parachute, but once was a bit over weighted with my double 72's and decided to fill a wine jug with air when I was finally done diving. The dvd's were my birthday present. So much inspiration.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

mrepi2000
Diver

Mon May 07, 2018 8:40 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:56 pm
With the criteria of mismatched surface and underwater shots, many would get drunk very fast. :D
Oh, absolutely include the mismatched surface/underwater shots, and any other discrepancy or deviation from reality. Just saw an early shot in California episode where he was supposed to be on a job in Florida and there were large hills/mountains in the background. Also, underwater shots where they are supposed to be very deep and their bubbles are breaking the surface right over their heads. The early episodes also seem to lump air embolism, "rapture of the deep" and the bends as the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sea Hunt. I used to flop around on the floor with my dimestore mask and fins on in front of the TV when I was a kid, pretending to be Mike Nelson (still do when my wife isn't looking!).

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 am

This is actually a big part of the fun at Sea Hunt Jerry's annual "Sea Hunt Night" up here in Minnesota. Jerry rustles up around 20 divers... Some vintage and some newbies... We all try out double hose vintage gear in the Aqua Venture Dive Shop Pool. Then we drink pop, eat pizza, and watch Sea Hunt Episodes in one of the Dive Shop's classrooms. Last time, the dive shop said we could bring our own beverages but so far no one has brought anything but soda pop. Jerry knows all of the episodes by heart and would be the first to call out bloopers... But he is a non-drinker. So, that would leave the rest of us blotto. :roll:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

mrepi2000
Diver

Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 am

SurfLung wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 am
This is actually a big part of the fun at Sea Hunt Jerry's annual "Sea Hunt Night" up here in Minnesota. Jerry rustles up around 20 divers... Some vintage and some newbies... We all try out double hose vintage gear in the Aqua Venture Dive Shop Pool. Then we drink pop, eat pizza, and watch Sea Hunt Episodes in one of the Dive Shop's classrooms. Last time, the dive shop said we could bring our own beverages but so far no one has brought anything but soda pop. Jerry knows all of the episodes by heart and would be the first to call out bloopers... But he is a non-drinker. So, that would leave the rest of us blotto. :roll:
Man, what fun! If I lived closer I'd love to join in. But, southwestern Ohio is a bit of a commute!

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu May 10, 2018 5:06 pm

While it does sound intriguing, the simple facts that my liver is nearly as old as those SeaHunt episodes, has not been the beneficiary of a rebuild, has had an abused existence, makes it extremely likely that the primary example of lack of continuity, should I partake in such an organized event, would be myself, a case of life imitating art. Therefore I shall pass on the offer.

The mixing of vintage equipment, newbies, and SeaHunt videos does sound good. I will suggest it to my LDS as a future event. This July, I am trying to get an outdoor screening of the Creature from the Black Lagoon for the LDS, lots of great Broxtons in action.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm a player!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 pm

The dive club I belong to is having a Sea Hunt meeting in August. Seeing as though the members of this club are usually up for a drink, I'll have to suggest this game.

mrepi2000
Diver

Fri May 11, 2018 5:42 pm

I would suggest, in the spirit of fellowship, if anybody actually plays, they would allow non-drinkers like me the opportunity to drink any beverage of choice. I hope the point of the game is to enjoy "Sea Hunt" as opposed to just an excuse to get loaded. Just a thought. By the way, in the episode I watched this morning, Mike entered the water with a single tank and had doubles "down under."

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri May 11, 2018 7:14 pm

mrepi2000 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:42 pm
I would suggest, in the spirit of fellowship, if anybody actually plays, they would allow non-drinkers like me the opportunity to drink any beverage of choice. I hope the point of the game is to enjoy "Sea Hunt" as opposed to just an excuse to get loaded. Just a thought. By the way, in the episode I watched this morning, Mike entered the water with a single tank and had doubles "down under."
Good point, LB. I'm sure there are others that would prefer a different "reward". The "Game" can obviously be played in any way you and the group you are watching with want. If there is a reward for catching a blooper you could make those rewards chocolate chip cookies, a kiss from a Mermaid, a sardine, or whatever you can all agree upon. Or maybe the winner could charge a fee for driving the loaded participants home, but that could be a disgusting task if you lack a good sense of humor at the time.

I don't see much point in getting "loaded", but I do enjoy one a day. Since I haven't had enough water on this hot Texas day I'll be glad to help celebrate your find of the single magically turning into doubles with a glass of ice water. :)

Return to “General Discussions”