hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Annoying only look and no touch diving people.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Is it me or are the Eco warriors taking over scuba? I was in a dive shop in Southern California over the winter and got lectured by the shop workers and customers for touching/taking stuff while diving (lobsters and scallops). Apparently I am the reason the world is warming and everything is dying in the oceans. I got a nice lecture on how we are not ever allowed to touch the reefs and sea life so our children will be able to have a chance to see it. I felt like walking out and saying a few nasty things but I needed my air fills so I kept my calm. I grew up in Cali with not a ton of money and my dad taught us to dive at 8 years old for dinner. We were not starving but Lobster, abalone, fish and scallops tasted much better than beans and franks every night. I still look for stuff every time I dive and poke at things, touch critters and have fun. Diving with out a goal starts to get boring to me. I guess that makes me a horrible person who likes to catch his own dinner. Hey Mike Nelson touched everything down there and he is the man! I also do not like hippies and their curly light bulbs.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Annoying only look and no touch diving people.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

I've said it before here but as a kid I was raised that the only reason to dive was to hunt game for dinner. I was taught to adjust my weights to account for a heavy game bag at the end of the dive. I'm going on a two day spearfishing trip for halibut in June and I spent this morning diving for rock scallops. Looks like there are at least two of us horrible planet destroying people THEY haven't been able to stop yet. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Perfect! I'm glad it is not just me. I love fresh seafood and the price is even better. Next time I go back to SoCal i'm going to take the dive shop guys man card away. I use to spear fish near where you are just north of the Surf n Sand hotel. I would smash up urchins and wait for an ambush. Imagine if they saw that :) Diving for game is so much fun, even if you get skunked. Good luck on your next game dive Mark.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 pm

A few years ago the kelp-huggers got (through legislation) 100% of Laguna's coastline closed to all fishing and game taking of any kind extending out 3 miles from shore. Can't even take my son surf-fishing like my dad did with me, my grandfather did with my dad, and my great-grandfather did with my grandfather. :cry:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 pm

That is crazy they can even do that. Don't worry about the developers putting in row after row of giant condos and apartments. The couple of guys that dive for dinner are the bad ones. That is such a shame. At least you can go to San Clemente and surf cast.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 am

Here's a kind of funny story along those lines. Vacationing in Maui, I was trying to get a video of my nephew swimming alongside a Sea Turtle. I kept telling him to get closer. Finally on the surface he asked me "Gee how close do you mean?" And I said, "swim up to him and put your hand on the back of his shell". He gave me a horrified look but he agreed to do it. Later when we were watching the video, he said, "Uncle Eben made me touch the turtle." We all laughed but these young people are getting some seriously weird indoctrination. I told him, "Think about this: If your hands are poisonous to touch animals, wouldn't your two baby girls also be poisoned when you touch them?" He got it. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am

Dive with Rob and I sometime.... :shock: :shock:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am

SurfLung wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 am
Here's a kind of funny story along those lines. Vacationing in Maui, I was trying to get a video of my nephew swimming alongside a Sea Turtle. I kept telling him to get closer. Finally on the surface he asked me "Gee how close do you mean?" And I said, "swim up to him and put your hand on the back of his shell". He gave me a horrified look but he agreed to do it. Later when we were watching the video, he said, "Uncle Eben made me touch the turtle." We all laughed but these young people are getting some seriously weird indoctrination. I told him, "Think about this: If your hands are poisonous to touch animals, wouldn't your two baby girls also be poisoned when you touch them?" He got it. :)
Hmmm... I dunno Eben, your experience seems a little out there on the spectrum of marine life interactions. I can see spearing fish and grabbing lobster, but turtle fondling? :D

I agree with you that the interaction you describe likely had zero effect on the turtle; however, and as a minor aside, and it's probably just me, but I probably wouldn't confess to committing a crime on a message board read domestically and internationally.  From the Hawaii State Legislature:

"In Hawaii, sea turtles are protected by the Hawaii Revised Statutes (Chapter 195D) and Hawaii Administrative Rules (13-124). All sea turtles in Hawaii are protected by both State and Federal Law! It is illegal to kill, capture, touch or harass sea turtles. Fines can be as high as $25,000 and may include a year in prison."

Therefore, I thoroughly enjoyed  your work of fiction: just saying,

Your friend,  Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

What is going on here....OMG!!!!
Rob Turtle.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Did successful mating occur? 8)

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:59 pm

How About When the Sea Turtle Touches the Diver?
- Kind of a cute video of a commercial diver and sea turtle...
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm glad there are others on this site that contribute to the complete collapse of all ocean life by touching and eating things from the sea. In March I went to Puerto Rico and we ate well. After two days of diving we made seafood chowder with Conch, Slipper lobster, reef lobster and scallops. It was freaking awesome. No fishing lic is even needed there. I even took all the kids diving without them being certified. I think Padi offers a course for that though. The irresponsible and dangerous dad intro to teaching kids how to have fun certification. You do need the prerequisite how to fondle sea life and poor life choices courses before taking that one though.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

I think I posted this one before of me back in the day interacting with marine life. :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Is that in LaPaz? I was absconded several times by mantas while I was there.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Bryan wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:05 pm
Is that in LaPaz? I was absconded several times by mantas while I was there.
Isla San Benedicto, Revillagigedo Archipelago. About 250 miles south of the southern tip of Baja.

Return to “General Discussions”