Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Movie about Sheck Exley with an appearance by the Sea Hunt Forever Divers

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:35 pm

Great movie about Sheck Exley with a few of the usual suspects making an appearance at the beginning.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Movie about Sheck Exley with an appearance by the Sea Hunt Forever Divers

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 am

Interesting film. For those of the Sea Hunt shows, the sequence of a "vintage" diver was filmed by Roger VanFrank of me doing my Mike Nelson impression at the first show in 2008. Not being a cave diver, although I have been in enough caverns like Ginny etc., I know that sport is not my bag. It is interesting to learn about the early cavers and how the lessons learned came at a great cost.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Cave diving is a passion of mine. Kinda weird I know,  but I am the most serene, calm, happy .... when I'm a mile lateral distance from the cave entrance and under tons of jungle-filled earth swimming through the labyrinths of the underworld.  Of couse I've only experienced the no-flow caves of Mexico. Not sure I would feel the same way in the high-flow Florida systems. The majority of our book-learning training dealt with cave diving accidents with really bad outcomes. We analyzed every accident report and what went wrong and prophylactic ways of preventing the same fate. Guys like Exley paved the way for the rest of us. Cave diving is not for everyone that's for sure. Of course neither is rebreather diving. I have zero desire to strap on a rebreather. Those things scare the crap out of me. I know there are many fine folks who use rebreathers very safely. I'm ignorant on the subject but from what I've read, too much oxygen and you are dead. Too little oxygen and you are dead. Either way, you likely won't see it coming. I've rambled on long enough.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:02 pm

I have seen enough wet rocks in my limited cave diving excursions in Florida and Mexico to know it's not for me...Much respect for guys like Sheck Exley that paved the way figuring it out how to do it safely....Or as safely as this branch of diving can be.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Very interesting. Thank you.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Allan, Thanks for the Credit!.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey... I dove at Peacock Spring with Sea Hunt Jerry. We stayed out of the caves but it caught my eye that were at a famous place and I didn't know it. My impressions of Peacock spring were as follows: First, it was covered by green duck weed... We had to actually swish it out of the way to discover crystal clear water underneath. 2nd it looks like a tiny pond... The edges are like cliffs with ledges and holes... It goes down quite a bit more than the width of the pond. Once at the bottom, we saw the entrances to tunnels and a huge cavern... I shined my light into the big cavern while hovering outside of it... The light went far into nowhere, never reaching a back wall. Tempting with all that clear water but not my cup of tea. WE stayed out in the open.

In addition to Peacock, we visited a few other Florida Springs and even made a video of our trip. Kind of like Bill and Ted's excellent adventure.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Did The Cow show you the U/W connector between Manatee and Catfish Hotel ?

couv
Master Diver

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks Eben,

I really enjoyed that-brings back fond memories.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Jim did a great job with that video.

If any of you guys are curious on where all of that is, if we end up in that part of peacock around the same time, I'd be more than happy to show you where all of the things are that they showed. It's quite close to the cave entrance and as an instructor we can go over all of the pertinent safety bits prior to poking around in there. What is crazy is how close to the entrance that dive is in this day in age vs. what it was back then

Return to “General Discussions”