georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fiji and Big Tigers - up close and personal

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Returned 2/24/18 -

Beqa Lagoon Resort for a week - they are truly "run whatcha brung" vintage friendly. Just bring it. The local boys (BLR Dive Team) were impressed with the shiny, Barlow Built, Voit V66 Navy with Phoenix.

If you never do any other thing in your life - Do the shark dive with them - in fact, do the shark dive twice. That'd be 4 dives total.

The below video is what happens when you've got 3 Tigers in the arena - all from 10 ft to 14 ft and a 10 ft Bull Shark crashes the party. I guess they don't get along . . . Things went sideways for close to 10 minutes while that kerfuffle sorted itself with the Bull taking leave before things got tight.

DUMBSTRUCK WITH AWE diving with these animals

CLICK IT > https://www.dropbox.com/s/otta3blihwsbr ... k.mp4?dl=0

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Fiji and Big Tigers - up close and personal

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:35 pm

WOW, what an exciting dive :shock: Love it!
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 am

I think if I was on that dive video, you would hear a woman screaming in the background... And it would be ME! Holy Cow... How do you get yourself psyched into being okay with that? One flick of the head and that thing could take your whole arm off.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 am
I think if I was on that dive video, you would hear a woman screaming in the background... And it would be ME! Holy Cow... How do you get yourself psyched into being okay with that? One flick of the head and that thing could take your whole arm off.
Be the first one to roll in off the boat when you get to the site and tie off to the mooring line. As soon as the skipper says "go" - go. Do a negative entry and there might be a big Tiger about 15 ft under the boat waiting for you - (thinks you might be food) Stay vertical and don't turn your back on her. Turning your back on them is a sign of disrespect according to Fijian tradition. Divers don't look like anything they've ever eaten before (hopefully) so she will be curious and come about 4 feet away giving you the once over.

You're so dumbstruck with awe that the thought never enters your mind that any of those animals would attack. As well, according to Fijian tradition, you can only be bitten if you've offended the tribal chieftain or broken some other Fijian taboo like being rude to someone or immodest - something like that.

In Fiji the sharks are gods.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:12 am

WOW!!!!!!!! :shock:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “General Discussions”