Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Sea Hunt Kankles...

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:35 pm

I'm down 53 since July....CAVEMAN foods only. No carbs, no sugar.....I have cheat days but it's manageable now. Lord how I miss mass consumption of beer though!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Bryan wrote:
I'm down 53 since July....CAVEMAN foods only. No carbs, no sugar.....I have cheat days but it's manageable now. Lord how I miss mass consumption of beer though!
....and I thought you were on a diet of Gummy Bears.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:50 pm

couv wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm
....and I thought you were on a diet of Gummy Bears.

Rojo Panditas :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Bryan wrote:
Good Job! I feel bad for you having to give up so many good things... so I drank an extra beer in your honor tonight! It was a tasty German Paulander Double Bock, 7.9% :D
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 am

That’s wonderful man! You are going to be able to slay many zombies during the zombocalypse. Seriously though, I want to dive until I get into the water to go to my death at the ripe age of 120 so I’m all for staying healthy. I think it’s great news that many of you are working on your health.

We all just have to last long enough for scientists to figure out how to give us new organs or mechanical spider bodies or whatever and we are good right?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Douchebag
Master Diver

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Bryan wrote:
WTF??!!
So we can't go drinking anymore?

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 pm

I mean Dave, Bryan is still Bryan. If we hang out with him enough beer will just appear by divine providence. I mean, if beer was never drank and we all told the truth this place wouldn't even exist.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:32 am

Lets slow down with the crazy talk.....There are exceptions to every rule.... 8)

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Ron wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

What you have mentioned and already tacitly understand is known as immersion diuresis. More here:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medi ... to_Urinate
That's a good article. Funny how the diver refuses to just do what comes naturally to solve his discomfort... Pee in his suit.

My reason for bringing that "immersion diuresis" up was to show that the swelling in my ankles is fluid retention and not fat. I definitely AM overweight (fat) but the ankle swelling thing comes and goes like fluid retention and it appears that my sugar intake has a lot to do with it. I've cut sugar drastically for over a month now and the ankle swelling has not come back.

I re-connected with my body builder sister about fluid retention and sugar and she made a kind of cute explanation: She said the name of sugar is Carbohydrate... With "hydrate" being the last part of the word. We've all heard the word carbohydrate a thousand and 1 times but I never thought of it that way. She gave some more technical explanation but that's the part that stuck in my mind.

(Cripes! I didn't realize there's a page 2 of this thread. I'm quoting Ron from page 1)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 pm

She's absolutely correct too.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/3091 ... ain-water/

"When you consume carbohydrates, your body converts them to glycogen, which is then stored in the muscles for energy. For every gram of glycogen stored, you gain approximately 2.7 grams of water. This water retention occurs because your kidneys hold on to sodium in response to carbohydrate consumption. Your body reacts to the higher sodium levels by storing more water to keep the sodium-blood concentration at a healthy level."

Too many carbs make you fart and make you retain water.

I will tell you that there is a fine line between low carb and "I feel like shit" low carb. When I was in the Army, I've seen dudes pass out from bonking due to running not enough carbs in their diet. I will admit that the average American vastly over-consumes carbs. Here's an article on bonking:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4159 ... g-workout/

I think the goal as a diver is to control your calories and macros to the point where you are as lean as practicable, without feeling like crap from the exertion of diving. A lean diver takes less lead to sink, has a good SAC rate, and is at lower risk of a heart attack/heart disease. Heart disease and heart attacks kill more divers than anything cool like sharks or the wrong gas mix.

Really, one of my favorite parts of being a diver is that it is your lifestyle if you love it. I watch what I eat, how often and how much I drink booze, and how many cigars I have because I want to dive as long as possible.

A guy like Greg Barlow is a great example of a guy who is fit for diving. Thin without being frail, great SAC rate (among the best I've ever personally seen), good swimmer, low resting heart rate, efficient heart (Google Starling's law for more), etc.

Really, you just don't want heart disease. That will take you out of the water, and statistically, it will be what kills you if you are a man.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 am

Ron wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 pm
She's absolutely correct too.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/3091 ... ain-water/

"When you consume carbohydrates, your body converts them to glycogen, which is then stored in the muscles for energy. For every gram of glycogen stored, you gain approximately 2.7 grams of water. This water retention occurs because your kidneys hold on to sodium in response to carbohydrate consumption. Your body reacts to the higher sodium levels by storing more water to keep the sodium-blood concentration at a healthy level."
- That's it! That's the technical explanation I've been looking for. Thanks for posting! :D

- So, when people say fluid retention is caused by too much salt... They're either not understanding it completely or not explaining it completely. If they say it's not sugar, just cut out the table salt; They must not know that too much sugar also causes too much salt.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “General Discussions”