Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Chrome

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Evening everyone, this is my first post. This forum has been a great resource. I was wondering if there is a go to chrome guy that anybody recommends. I’m starting a Mistral project and I’m just trying to put together a game plan as I wait for it to arrive. There are local chrome shops here (Minneapolis) but I am weary of a “Chrome bumper Bubba” buffing a hole in my can. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Chrome

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 am

Since Dave stopped doing chrome there is no one that I am aware of that knows double hose regulator plating. In my opinion your best bet is to find a place that does bright work restoration for classic sailboats / wood boats etc. They typically have the experience and skill to do it right.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 am

I just had a Voit can chromed by a hole-in-the-wall mom & pop shop near me in Santa Ana, CA. The guy knows zero about regulators or diving but he did a fantastic job. Looks like he mainly does motorcycle and auto parts. Happy to give you his contact info if you want.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Brian, I like the bright work suggestion it a makes a lot of sense. If I don’t have any luck finding a good marine shop locally, I might reach back out to you, Scubalawyer, for your shop contact.
Also, other than the can, I’m guessing the yoke should be chromed, is there anything else that I’m missing? Thanks again everybody.

Douchebag
Master Diver

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Flakotter wrote:Brian, I like the bright work suggestion it a makes a lot of sense. If I don’t have any luck finding a good marine shop locally, I might reach back out to you, Scubalawyer, for your shop contact.
Also, other than the can, I’m guessing the yoke should be chromed, is there anything else that I’m missing? Thanks again everybody.
Yeah....everything :D

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:05 am

Everything....well I guess that answers my next few questions.

Return to “General Discussions”