DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Aquamaster replacement cans

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Has anyone successfully traded out their Aquamaster metal cans for something with a newer, non-denting material, like plastic?

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: Aquamaster replacement cans

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:44 pm

Not sure what you mean. The only "plastic" cans that I know of at this time that fit an Aqua Master are those that were made for the Argonaut Kraken. They are easy to get, just buy a Kraken :D . I believe the Scuba Museum has some plastic cans but they are for the single stage regulators.

And welcome, stick around.

Nem

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 am

Welcome to the board.
Like Nem, the only ones I know of are the Argonaut cans and I don't think they are available as a separate part. The ones Rob at the Scuba Museum makes only fit the Mistral, he did have some modified to fit the Voit Trieste but those will not work with a DA/RAM body. If you need a set for a DA, ask around I would bet some one on the board has a some cans that need a body.
Herman

DerekRalston
Skin Diver

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks. With a couple of different models to choose from for single stage reg's, I was hoping that someone may have dome the same thing for a two stage body.

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm

The plastic cans that Rob sells work fine. They just need to be machined. If you have access to a CNC mill, it should be fairly easy to cut.
If I were going to cut them manually:
1) Get a flat piece of plastic, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick(just needs to be thick enough not to flex)
2) Trace a circle the size of the interior of the new can
3) Trace the cut out of the original can into this circle(center it, etc)
4) Cut these shapes out with a dremel or router. Keep the cut square
5) Glue it with something temporary to the inside of the new can( pay attention to the location of the mounting tabs in relation to the horn)
6) Using the normal bolt holes, screw or bolt the can to some wood(vibration is your enemy and will shatter it)
7) Using the skinniest flush trim router bit you can find, set the depth so that you are only cutting the can material(see youtube if you aren't familiar with a flush trim bit)
8 ) Slowly cut it out
9) Remove the template
10) Using a small file, clean up the corner of the tabs so that your body fits the new can. Also, clean up any loose plastic edges
11) Dive it like you stole it
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

DerekRalston
Skin Diver

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am

Precisely why I was looking for a ready made solution...

Creed
Master Diver

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:19 pm

LOL, I've been rebuilding pinball games(the cabinets, playfields and controller boards) for a while, so my definition of a quick job is changing! :)
I could see how a 3D printed template could cut the time down to 5 minutes with a router and 10 minutes with a file. I was planning on doing something like this a long time ago with my set of blue cans. Might be worth revisiting.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Return to “General Discussions”