scott232
Diver
First Name: Scott

Rings ?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Ok folks, newbie question here. I recently saw a picture of a diver wearing a double hose rig of some kind and it appeared that he had what looked like several chrome rings on each hose, several inches apart. Is that something aesthetic or purposeful ? If so, why ? I'll try to find it again and post it if I can. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Rings ?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:47 pm

The breathing loop can get a little "floaty". Those are weights to keep things where they need to be.

scott232
Diver

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:39 pm

swimjim wrote:The breathing loop can get a little "floaty". Those are weights to keep things where they need to be.
So is that necessary with all double hoses, say for my new Kraken for example ? I haven't dove it yet. Do many folks use these weights ?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm

The mouthpiece in the DSV sticks out a bit further (than some of the vintage mouthpieces), to accommodate the replaceable bite. This creates a slightly longer moment arm. The pull from the buoyancy of the hoses tends to apply a twist onto the mouthpiece that can be uncomfortable.

If your regulator came with the newer EPDM heavy hoses, the weight of the hoses seems to help a lot to mitigate this buoyancy.

If you are using the lighter, soft silicone hoses, then the buoyancy applies an uncomfortable load to the DSV mouthpiece. With the silicone hoses I definitely prefer the hose weights.

If you bought your regulator recently, I think that Bryan is delivering the EPDM hoses as standard, so you may want to try them first. Also take a look at the recommendation on hose installation rotation. That will also make a huge difference.

Have fun.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Bryan has offered powder coated, color matched rings in red and black so they do not stick out so much.

I have been using the hose gaiters (covers) for extra protection and with them installed I cannot see the three hose weights that I have installed on each of my three Krakens. I have the silicone hoses and while I do not think the weights are necessary they do help as Luis says to tame the floatiness of the hoses.

The HD EDPM hoses are heavy enough on their own and do not need the rings and tough enough that I could not likely kill them with a 45-70, my opinion. I prefer the silicone hoses, just little ol' me :wink: .

If you notice, you will see hose weights and gaiters on rebreather hoses for the same reasons, protection and extra weight.

Nem

scott232
Diver

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I should have time to test it later this week in my folks salt water pool. Damn excited about it too !

Return to “General Discussions”