swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Coldest wetsuit temperatures?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 am

SurfLung wrote:So "Genetically" would you say a Minnesotan is a more advanced human or a more primitive human? Or maybe we're a "trans-Human"... something at another level of development entirely... And does that include out minds? Maybe being nuts enough to do stuff in the cold?

I want to thank you guys for not mentioning my finely tuned Bio-Prene insulation. :)
Advanced? Wouldn't say that. But being in the Viking blood line probably gives you a higher cold and alcohol tolerance. :lol: :lol: I'm half Swedish myself. I'm not too far behind.
Great ice diving story Luis. That guy must be a hoot!

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Coldest wetsuit temperatures?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 pm

When started this diving thing (1989), I wore a 1/4" farmer john with a 1/4" long sleeve shorty, both plush lined. My check-out dives were in the spring (May) in Lake George in northern NY, and essentially, just after ice out. Water was 34-36 degrees. After certification, and locating to Buffalo, NY, Lake Erie became my dive location. All diving below 80' was under the thermocline, and despite 75 degree surface water, and air temps in the 80's and 90's, it was 36-40 degrees below that layer.... we did it by warming our suits with thermos bottles of water. Hands and feet suffered. Now (last 10 years), anything under 50 degrees is going to likely be in a dry suit. Above 70, and nice air temps, I am in a 3mm shorty. In 50 - 70, and I will be wet in a 5/7 custom 1 piece. I have added a hooded vest as my shape has changed in the fit of the suit, and water circulation is the kiss of death to me...

April in Key Largo was a 3mm shorty, November in Jamaica was a rash guard.... Curacao this April? IDK....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “General Discussions”