mrepi2000
Diver
First Name: LB

Sea Hunt 2018?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Is there going to be a Sea Hunt celebration in 2018 :D ?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Sea Hunt 2018?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:38 pm

No plans for a Sea Hunt Forever event in 2018. Perhaps 2019...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:53 am

- I heard that they moved the "Springs Fest" State Park event to some other Florida spring in 2018. Our Sea Hunt Forever show was part of the Springs Fest list of events that visitors could participate in. That and the history of Silver Springs are the what got us okay'd to dive there when diving isn't otherwise allowed. The Silver Springs connection with Bryan's Sea Hunt Forever show is a necessity. It can't be done anywhere else.
- Unlike other Vintage dives or vintage events, the Spectator aspect of Sea Hunt Forever at Silver Springs is huge. I'm thinking I remember they had 5000 visitors at the Spring with the glass bottom boats running to capacity all day long. Sea Hunt Forever cast members dressed in full TV show diving outfits acted out TV show scenarios underwater, worked the lines and the crowds, answering questions, posing for pictures. Silver Springs is designed for that. The publicity and attraction of the Springs Fest also played a major role in the two Sea Hunt Forever shows I participated in.
- There may be other Florida springs with clear water and a spectator capacity. But then, what would be the "Sea Hunt" connection? Sea Hunt is part of the history of Silver Springs. If it can't be held there, it doesn't really make sense to do it anywhere else. (ie. Move it to whatever spring the current Springs Fest event is being held at).
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Maybe instead of a SeaHunt event, we could just get together and dive a couple of springs. I wouldn't mind visiting Alexander or Troy springs. Drift dive on one of the rivers? Just a thought. Of course, as usual, my attendance would be based on if I have work through the winter. But it sure is nice to get out of Wisconsin mid March to mid April. :wink:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:28 pm

SurfLung wrote: There may be other Florida springs with clear water and a spectator capacity. But then, what would be the "Sea Hunt" connection? Sea Hunt is part of the history of Silver Springs. If it can't be held there, it doesn't really make sense to do it anywhere else. (ie. Move it to whatever spring the current Springs Fest event is being held at).
Hi Eben, in my humble opinion anywhere we could put on a show and folks could see us in some manner (even CC TV?) would educate on the history of diving. For example, diving is big in Japan and a friend of mine who lives in Tokyo asked me the other day if the SHF cast would be willing to put on a show in one of the big open ocean tanks at an aquarium in Japan. I told him that if his group could pay all travel expenses for everyone i'd do my best to talk the cast and crew into it. He said he would check into it but not to hold my breath. Bottom line, probably not gonna happen. Regardless, other locations exist. My 2 psi. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:37 pm

swimjim wrote:Maybe instead of a SeaHunt event, we could just get together and dive a couple of springs. I wouldn't mind visiting Alexander or Troy springs. Drift dive on one of the rivers? Just a thought. Of course, as usual, my attendance would be based on if I have work through the winter. But it sure is nice to get out of Wisconsin mid March to mid April. :wink:
Been there, done that. Many of the Sand Dogs were located in FL and we dove the mentioned springs. Some of the participants burned out on the springs. That is one of the reasons we tried a Sand Dog up north. (That was a flop). Not sure if the days of Sand Dogs have expired. Biggest issue along with venue is organizer. Seems some participants are not willing to step up to the plate and do one. Maybe new blood infusion is needed.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 am

The problem with the springs is that they are crowded and the park employees are as friendly as rattle snakes and the Florida DNR are even worse. The last one I went to when the jackarse DNR guy jumped our favorite vintage curmudgeon and was about to provoke upon my (red neck) temperament which could only result in a fourth banishment from Flaridah for me or worse. :twisted:

I will go for another springs Sand Dog if we all bring big spear guns and get drunk and throw beer bottles and light off firecrackers. Once we get drunk we can all dive naked. If I am to be banished forever from the State of Florida I want to make it legendary. :shock:

Otherwise I would as soon go dive in my sewage lagoon.

But, I did have fun at every SD I attended.

Nem

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 am

I, speaking for myself, enjoyed the spring diving a few years ago at Blue Springs and ALexander. IT gave me a chance to dive some of the double hoses I worked on, meet the "experts" in vintage diving, and got me to FLorida from the cold North. It's a good way to encourage new divers to get involved in the vintage group and if perhaps some training /educational info could be done , I think it would be a nice event.

Red DIver

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Well, I am still one of only 2 people qualified to teach a complete vintage equipment diving class. I've taught 4 people and offended virtually everyone here by getting certified to teach it, LOL! Apparently there were concerns that I was "in it for the money." The other guy who teaches it is a VDH member as well, Mr. Tim Ewing. Tim also wrote the course. I don't know what I'm going to do with all 80 of these fat George Washingtons I've got laying around from teaching vintage equipment diving. Maybe I will spend it on 1/6th of a bottle of good Scotch, or 1/100th of a Rolex.

If people wanted a class at an event, then I'd show up and teach it.

I'll be here all week folks.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Ron wrote:Well, I am still one of only 2 people qualified to teach a complete vintage equipment diving class. I've taught 4 people and offended virtually everyone here by getting certified to teach it, LOL! Apparently there were concerns that I was "in it for the money." The other guy who teaches it is a VDH member as well, Mr. Tim Ewing. Tim also wrote the course. I don't know what I'm going to do with all 80 of these fat George Washingtons I've got laying around from teaching vintage equipment diving. Maybe I will spend it on 1/6th of a bottle of good Scotch, or 1/100th of a Rolex.

If people wanted a class at an event, then I'd show up and teach it.

I'll be here all week folks.
Alec Peirce is as well. But you three are the only ones I'm aware of.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:10 am

I stand corrected. There are 3 of us.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm game in mid march or April some where in Florida. I will be glad to help coordinate.
Also I think Springs Fest is once again in Silver Springs in 18. Could be wrong though.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1815543362096412/
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:27 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:28 pm
...Hi Eben, in my humble opinion anywhere we could put on a show and folks could see us in some manner (even CC TV?) would educate on the history of diving...
When you put it that way, it makes sense... After all, most of the spectators that saw us at Silver Springs had never heard of the Sea Hunt TV Show before they saw our Sea Hunt Forever event. I guess I was thinking about the personal significance of Silver Springs to us divers. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:09 pm

The cow's diving the Springs Jan 15 for a week,then knee replacement in Feb,Moo!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Congratulations to Eben and Jerry! Their smiling faces were highlighted on

https://www.facebook.com/floridaspringsfest/

The following photos are from the Florida Springs Fest web site:
Eben.jpg
Jerry1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “General Discussions”