Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Too comfortable for my own good?

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:45 pm

antique diver wrote:Russ, I think you have an "attitude"... and I Like It! :lol:
Thanks Man! :twisted: :twisted:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 pm

This was my configurationImage. Ya my pony was in the wrong spot. It was set up to be cradled between the tanks, but I had a pre-dive nitrogen attack and mounted it on the side like on my single tank. Didnt handle well on this dive. And sadly, it's not a Kraken, just the hose loop.

So, does anyone remember when they introduced the 130 foot "your gona die" depth? 80's, 90's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 am

I was born in the 80's, does that count?

look, it's pretty simple. I don't like or really advocate for diving deep air. Do I do it? yes, of course

There is absolutely nothing wrong with progressive penetration and learning your narcosis limits. I get narc'd easily so I try to limit myself to 160-170 depending on conditions. There are lots of things that are considered "best practice" for a myriad of reasons, but if you are making the conscious decision to do something and are planning appropriately, there is nothing wrong with that

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm

tbone1004 wrote:I was born in the 80's, does that count?

look, it's pretty simple. I don't like or really advocate for diving deep air. Do I do it? yes, of course

There is absolutely nothing wrong with progressive penetration and learning your narcosis limits. I get narc'd easily so I try to limit myself to 160-170 depending on conditions. There are lots of things that are considered "best practice" for a myriad of reasons, but if you are making the conscious decision to do something and are planning appropriately, there is nothing wrong with that
Indeed - a word of caution - as we all know and have seen firsthand- sometimes with fatal results. . . .

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I've seen people in denial about the state of their physical conditioning, dive knowledge, most recent envelope pushing dive experience and even age. Now, age is a big one. No one wants to get too old to do the things we did in our mid 20's but it is a fact that dives on air in 190 water when you're 60 and the last one you did was several years ago(e.g.) is asking for trouble IMHO.

I'm 59 and those days are pretty much ancient history for me. Would I consider it, now? Sure, but I'm going to do it with the right people, in the right conditions, with the right equipment and plan and there better be a sizeable payday for it - like sunken pirate booty or a hot sea siren that needs rescuing or something. I've seen a couple people expire on boat decks and it's not attractive. I would rather die in bed. Just my o2 YMMV

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Thats funny georgeaustin. Quoting Clint Eastwood is the first response I gave when I first got criticism over the dive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Return to “General Discussions”