User avatar
Ron
Site Admin
Posts: 1671
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:51 pm
First Name: Ron
Location: Puget Sound, Washington
Contact: Website

For all you looky lous.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I ran into fellow VDHer Tripplec, AKA Chris. We didn't get a chance to dive double hose, which was my fault because of course I had to interview 2 potential new employees today for my day job, which thereby limited my ability to scam out of work on a weekday, which as a consultant I categorically reject. Anyway, he had great things to say about Herman, BT, Greg "the lung" Barlow, and many others on here. He had a DAAM with a Phoenix and goodies, and I got to check out his way of diving double hose, which was cool.

So, Louie the Lurker, the lesson for you is that we are all pretty good people with a passion for diving. If you are the "guest" on the forum without a login, then stop by, get one, and participate. Contrary to popular belief, although we may give you a good-natured earful of shit, we are not tired of any of your questions. Tripplec and I had pizza, told lies, and I even got to show him the Kraken, a genuine as issued NONMAG, and the secret squirrel new prototype VDH single hose. We even talked about Regulator Savvy for hours like two old Jewish women trying to order at a NYC deli.

If you get a chance, visit with folks from the vintage diving community. I'm probably going to drive down to Oregon, which I apparently can barely spell, and Chris and I are going to go diving at some point in the future. I'm also going to force him to take my vintage equipment diving class if I have to give it to him for free, which I probably will. I would like to clarify that my last sentence referred to the class.

So, like Henry Rollins says in the song Liar, try to mix with us animals. In all seriousness though, stop by, ask questions, get a hard time, and learn about vintage diving. The old people are a little crotchety, the 5 of us who are "young men" are maybe a little overly enthusiastic, and the hippies are already run off...so get you a login and type stuff. If you are truly lucky, Captain Tom will teach you how to rebuild a regulator over the phone in his charming Louisiana accent and you just might learn something.

From the ministry of truth (minitruth),

Ron
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

User avatar
Bronze06
Master Diver
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:33 am
First Name: Russell
Location: Tabuk, Saudi Arabia

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Okay Ron,

Who is Louie the "guest" Lurker, and what did I miss? :?:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

User avatar
Bryan
Plank Owner
Posts: 5225
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:40 am
First Name: Bryan
Location: Wesley Chapel Florida
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Bronze06 wrote:Okay Ron,

Who is Louie the "guest" Lurker, and what did I miss? :?:
Lots of folks lurk on VDH and never actually sign up or log on. Ron in a roundabout way was asking them to jump in with us, be part of the group and participate/contribute to the forum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

User avatar
tripplec
Master Diver
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am
First Name: Chris
Location: Coos Bay Oregon
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 pm

It was awesome to meet you Ron. And a great opportunity for me to pick apart the new single hose and talk about the differences in old and new stuf. This trip has been a blast. If you ever do make your way to southern Oregon, hit me up. Sadly our good vis is you worst vis. But maybe we can take my boat out which is named The Sinkable II. Love the water up here in north Washington. Will have to bring my kids when they are diving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ron
Site Admin
Posts: 1671
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:51 pm
First Name: Ron
Location: Puget Sound, Washington
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Bryan wrote:
Bronze06 wrote:Okay Ron,

Who is Louie the "guest" Lurker, and what did I miss? :?:
Lots of folks lurk on VDH and never actually sign up or log on. Ron in a roundabout way was asking them to jump in with us, be part of the group and participate/contribute to the forum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Bingo. Apparently, my written communication somehow turned into a Hunter S. Thompson novel at some point.

Get a login, and be a part of the group.

There. :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

User avatar
Ron
Site Admin
Posts: 1671
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:51 pm
First Name: Ron
Location: Puget Sound, Washington
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:17 pm

tripplec wrote:It was awesome to meet you Ron. And a great opportunity for me to pick apart the new single hose and talk about the differences in old and new stuf. This trip has been a blast. If you ever do make your way to southern Oregon, hit me up. Sadly our good vis is you worst vis. But maybe we can take my boat out which is named The Sinkable II. Love the water up here in north Washington. Will have to bring my kids when they are diving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
You too man! Sorry I couldn't get out of my day job :(
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

User avatar
Bryan
Plank Owner
Posts: 5225
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:40 am
First Name: Bryan
Location: Wesley Chapel Florida
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

slonda828 wrote:
Bingo. Apparently, my written communication somehow turned into a Hunter S. Thompson novel at some point.
Song of the sausage creature......real words
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

User avatar
tripplec
Master Diver
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am
First Name: Chris
Location: Coos Bay Oregon
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Came across this today Ron searching my FB. We were talking about it after pizza. You had an explanation for the hard exhale through the garden hose back flow valve, but I dont remember what it was. It also has one of the stainless braided water hoses from under my kitchen sink hooked up to the bc hose. I used to make them to bug the divers that preach even for a 50' dive, you need all new main stream dive gear or you will die. I had quite the reputation at the dive shop for a while. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 pm

tripplec wrote:Came across this today Ron searching my FB. We were talking about it after pizza. You had an explanation for the hard exhale through the garden hose back flow valve, but I dont remember what it was. It also has one of the stainless braided water hoses from under my kitchen sink hooked up to the bc hose. I used to make them to bug the divers that preach even for a 50' dive, you need all new main stream dive gear or you will die. I had quite the reputation at the dive shop for a while. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
I'll bet they cringe when you show up! Do they ever lock the dive shop front door before you can get out of your car?

Here's one of my "drive-em-crazy" rigs. I actually once loaned it to one of our divemasters for a shallow river dive after his new super duper multi-swivel 5-hosed reg blew a high pressure seat. It was the least I could do... unfortunately I sold him his super duper the week before. :lol:
Aqua-Rod Snark.jpg
r
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

User avatar
tripplec
Master Diver
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am
First Name: Chris
Location: Coos Bay Oregon
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Ha! Is that an air hose running through the garden hose hidden under black tape? I'd dive it. Looks stiff though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm

tripplec wrote:Ha! Is that an air hose running through the garden hose hidden under black tape? I'd dive it. Looks stiff though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Yes, the original Nemrod hose is still in place, just covered with the garden hose to make the regulator pretty!

And yes, it is stiff. It is necessary to mount the tank valve sideways to get the hose to go around your neck. Don't know why, but not many people want to try it out. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

crimediver
Master Diver
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:38 am
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: For all you looky lous.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

I would dive it.

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: For all you looky lous.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 pm

crimediver wrote:I would dive it.
Thanks for the confidence. It works better than it looks, but that's not saying much. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

User avatar
tripplec
Master Diver
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am
First Name: Chris
Location: Coos Bay Oregon
Contact: Website

Re: For all you looky lous.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 pm

All you guys have taught me, dont judge a reg by its looks. I started out playing with first stages out of the garbage just for fun, then I ended up fixing and diving them. Just because I can. Garden hose and what not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests