Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Aqua-Lung has been sold

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Re: Aqua-Lung has been sold

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:05 pm

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but this sale bothers me. I suppose I have an underlying feeling that a change in ownership will lead to a change in production, and in turn will result in a lack of support for the classic models.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:07 pm

- I'm kind of shocked at how complicated the strategies and ownership has become... They're just taking it for granted that customers will love these brands regardless of who owns them and how well they're managed. I was amazed awhile back at whatever wisdom came down from top management to drop the iconic AquaLung logo and replace it with the Yin-Yang.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:01 pm

With respect to the word "aqualung", here's an interesting article from the July-August 1957 issue of Triton, the journal of the British Sub Aqua Club:
Watch_your_language.jpg
What a wonderful example in the second paragraph of how "England and America are two countries divided by a common language" when it comes to the the coinage and acceptance of diving terminology:

Mr Broadhurst states that the correct name for the aqualung is Self Contained Compressed Air Breathing Apparatus. This, of course, is not a name but a description. The term Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus abbreviated to S.C.U.B.A. is used in America - long may it remain there! Aqualung is good enough for us and far more descriptive.

Needless to say, the term SCUBA eventually ousted the term "aqualung" here in the UK too. For several decades, however, Soviet diving manuals persisted in their use of "акваланг" (akvalang) as shorthand for the official term "дыхательный аппарат" (breathing apparatus).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:55 am

Remember what happened to DACOR! :(
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 am

The official PR, short and pretty lame.

https://www.airliquide.com/sites/airliq ... equity.pdf

And it seems Aqualung's FB page is lighting up like a Christmas Tree today in the comments section with a link to an article about "how much do you know about Cousteau"

https://www.facebook.com/aqualungdivers/

And a good article about Adventure Badasses, Cousteau is the highlight today:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2017/ ... -cousteau/

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed May 10, 2017 1:02 am

Hopefully this doesn't change things for the worse for AL. It's anecdotal, but my buddies in the industry keep telling me that many manufacturers are not doing so well. I feel like diving in general is still operating in the 1980s for the most part.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “General Discussions”