Herman
VDH Moderator

Honking DA Navy

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:06 pm

I have been restoring a Navy/Broxton and have an issue with it. I have installed new internals, LP seat and new diaphragm. The IP is stable and cracking pressure is around 1.5 . The issue I am having is the regulator honks very badly on inhale, Changing the IP helps some but not as much as I would like. Anyone have some suggestion on what else to try.
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Honking DA Navy

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:41 am

Mistrals have a similar issue. It goes away when you go below the surface. Take 'er down Herman! :wink:

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:14 am

A couple of suggestions. Make sure the diaphragm contact points on the horseshoe and the diaphragm are smooth and that each side of the horseshoe contact points are as close to the same height as possible. This may require the screws to be a different number of turns out rather than the same as the manual states. Also just as on a DAM or RAM central contact point alignment is necessary. I look inside with a light to verify the diaphragm tabs are aligned the same on both ends of the horseshoe.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 pm

I have zero experience with a DA Navy but lots of experience with honking Mistrals. For me it has always been a function of lever height. Too low and the diaphragm won't push down far enough to open the air passage fully so air squeaks by and the regulator honks. At least that is my uneducated no nothing about engineering simplistic layman's guess. When I raise the lever height the honking disappears. I've gone through a number bottles of single malt scotch trying to find the sweet spot. Good luck. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 pm

captain wrote: I look inside with a light to verify the diaphragm tabs are aligned the same on both ends of the horseshoe.
- Captain Tom always has a good common sense suggestion... Thanks for this one Tom!

- I have a noise like that in my Voit Navy. Like SwimJim, it goes away when I go diving so I've just accepted it was a harmonics-in-the-air phenomenon... And I just dive it the way it is. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:26 am

SurfLung wrote:
captain wrote: I look inside with a light to verify the diaphragm tabs are aligned the same on both ends of the horseshoe.
- Captain Tom always has a good common sense suggestion... Thanks for this one Tom!

- I have a noise like that in my Voit Navy. Like SwimJim, it goes away when I go diving so I've just accepted it was a harmonics-in-the-air phenomenon... And I just dive it the way it is. :)

As a former racing engine builder I am pretty anal about how parts fit together.
Captain

Return to “General Discussions”