diverprof
First Name: Jeff

C Clips

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 am

I'am wondering what are the various methods you guys are using to remove C Clips without really causing damage? Dumb question maybe dunno...I'am at a loss... I hear use a screw driver pry them or use Flat cutters... what is working for you guys? I've tried both ways and its always dicey or lets just say its more dicey than I like.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Re: C Clips

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:22 am

I just removed some from a mistral. I bought a decent pair of vice grip/ channel lock type plyers and use those. Squeeze tight because they like to slip and be careful the one edge isnt to close to the can where it could dig in. I pull them back just far enough where they wont slip back into place and use regular plyers and wiggle them off. I used to use a dremmel to cut them off.

Avanwyk1
First Name: Adam

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:23 am

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:29 am

I use the side cutters like in the link above. One key it to get a set that is large enough to do the job, the small ones are not up to it. I found the set I use at Lowes Home store then ground the face so the cutting edge is no longer a knife edge but just a simple chisel edge. Basically, just grind the face of it flat. Be sure to use a rotating motion as you remove them. Ground so they hold well and using the proper motion, I rarely do any damage to the reg. I have a set if channel locks ground to fit the clips to reinstall them but I much prefer a band clamp.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:45 am

Thank you ^^^^^

Captain made these for me years ago....Sorry for the picture quality but I think you get the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:59 am

The pliers Bryan pictured works by getting behind the the C clip not on the side of it. When you squeeze it opens the the C clip then you lever it towards the top can.
Captain

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:28 pm

I use a pair of skinny vice grips and a very thin flat head screwdriver. I I use the blade of the screwdriver to carefully lever the clip open and give the vice grips more of a surface. Then, wiggle it off, being careful not to gouge the chrome. So far(dozens of regs), I haven't damaged the cases, although the damage done by people just crimping them on is evident(which is why I don't use them on my person regs at all).
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Return to “General Discussions”