luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Trieste

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:03 am

Here is THE Trieste:
:)

The picture below is on line.

The Trieste is on display in the National Museum of the U.S. Navy (in the Washington Navy Yard, DC), retired after a total of 128 dives (including the successful location of the U.S.S. Thresher in 1963).

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

DaveMann
Lung Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Trieste

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am

luis wrote:

The Trieste is on display in the National Museum of the U.S. Navy (in the Washington Navy Yard, DC), retired after a total of 128 dives (including the successful location of the U.S.S. Thresher in 1963).

That looks like Alvin in the upper left corner. He found the lost H bomb in 1966.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:25 am

DaveMann wrote:
luis wrote:

That looks like Alvin in the upper left corner. He found the lost H bomb in 1966.
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. The ORIGINAL ALVIN. I remember seeing it on NG specials back in the late 60s and early 70s. No offence, but the Alvin is far more famous in my book. Wood Hole Oceanographic Institute still has a 2nd or third gen. sub called the Alvin I believe.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 am

No offense taken, but we do have a double hose regulator named after the Trieste… I don’t know of anything that has been named after the Alvin (maybe a chipmunk :P )… I am just saying… :wink:

I did see the Alvin and a lot of other extremely cool stuff in the National Museum of the U.S. Navy and the Cold War Museum next to it. I like these types of museums a lot and Christine and I determined that we have to go back to these ones.

Earlier this year I also had the chance to go to the Naval Undersea Museum (in Keyport, WA) and the Puget Sound Navy Museum (in Bremerton, WA). I highly recommend all of the above.

In the Naval Undersea Museum I saw the Trieste II (a very similar, but somewhat different design). There were also all kinds of cool stuff.

If you ever go with me, be prepared to spend a lot of time. I can take a lot of time reading the labels on the exhibits (as Ryan found out).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Wow. I would not have expected the original Trieste to still be around. Here's what I got from Wiki...

Trieste is a Swiss-designed, Italian-built deep-diving research bathyscaphe, which with its crew of two reached a record maximum depth of about 10,911 metres (35,797 ft), in the deepest known part of the Earth's oceans, the Challenger Deep, in the Mariana Trench near Guam in the Pacific. On 23 January 1960, Jacques Piccard (son of the boat's designer Auguste Piccard) and US Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh achieved the goal of Project Nekton.

SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “General Discussions”