CrabbyJim
Diver
First Name: James

Protective carry case for regulator

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 am

Hello all,

I recently returned to double hose regs after 40 years. How do you transport/store them? I wasn't very fussy in the old days, but now I am more careful. I am thinking about a Pelican-type case, approximately 12x12x12, but I can't find anything on line or in local stores. There must be something out there but I can't find it. As always, thank you for your assistance.

Crabby Jim

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Protective carry case for regulator

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:45 am

FWIW - I use a Pelican 1300 for my Kraken. It holds the reg, octo, mini 2-gauge console, and the yoke, but not the hoses/mouthpiece.

Waiting to see what others do as i too want to case up other DH's....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:50 pm

I like Pelican cases and a select few of the First Series Argonaut Krakens came with them.....But they expensive. Since 2014 I have worked with three different manufactures of bags to come up with a solution.... Where I'm at now is........To get a bag that is large enough, padded enough, with internal retention straps to keep the regulator in place and tough enough to satisfy my requirements would retail for almost $100.00...NOT GOING TO SELL MANY AT THAT PRICE......I had two companies look at the Aqua Lung bag made for the new Mistral and was told my cost if I bought 100 of them would be $130.00 per bag...So that's a no go as well. I would love to find a cost effective solution that meets my criteria but so far I've got nothing.
I can tie up 10K in bags that may or may not sell or I can invest that same money into stuff that goes under the water that I know will sell.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:51 pm

If I'm going somewhere in my van be it with my boat or to do a shore dive, I use a Walmart tupperware style plastic container. In the rare event I'm doing a dive charter, I use a padded regulator bag. If I have a pristine regulator along, or some thing I want to protect like my DivAir, I use one of these... http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/D ... ry=1643674 .

Jim

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:24 pm

What size/ series case did you use for the Argonauts Bryan?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:35 pm

Sorry, no idea.....lost in the fog of the chaos called Argonaut Kraken Series One. Adair or Eben may be able to tell you.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:03 am

I use 18x14x7 Pelican knock offs for mine. There is one on the bay for $59. that is a knock off of a Pelican 1500 which is more than enough for one reg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Weatherproof ... 1875157450

Not that I am promoting e-Bay but the cases are out there if you look. A hard case is the only way to go in my book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:59 am

I use my old military helmet bag. I know a couple of us who were in the service do. They look like this:

https://www.rothco.com/category/rothco-helmet-bag

The outside pockets fit a mask and a dive computer, and then I put the double hose in the inside padded compartment. When I store them at home I use stackable tupperware bins.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the case. The company selling them is in Miami and gave me a good price on a bulk purchase of them. This will make a much more affordable case for the Special Edition Argonauts in November. Now to attach the solar panel and USB charging ports for HUD display and GPS units :wink: :wink:

Bronze06 wrote:I use 18x14x7 Pelican knock offs for mine. There is one on the bay for $59. that is a knock off of a Pelican 1500 which is more than enough for one reg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Weatherproof ... 1875157450

Not that I am promoting e-Bay but the cases are out there if you look. A hard case is the only way to go in my book.

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:51 pm

For ground travel (90% of my diving) I use a Rubbermaid Roughneck 10 gallon tote stuffed with terry-cloth towels to move and store my DHs. As I take my regulators as carry-on for air travel, I'll load one in my backpack, also with terry-cloth towels around it.

Pelican cases are nice, and probably necessary for checked luggage on airplanes, but they are overkill for transporting / storing your DHs in your car or basement.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:24 pm

For travel I take them apart. I remove the yoke and put the orange cover (came with the Argonaut reg) on the nozzle and put the neoprene cover on. I remove the hoses also and the accessories (SPG, octo, LP hose). I put the can assembly right in the middle of my suitcase wrapped in a tee shirt or other clothing artical and the hoses and other bits around the perimeter of the suit case. Once I am where ever it is that I am going I have a small size padded gym bag that I have been using for toting the assembled double hose regs for now several years. For road trips it just goes in the small padded gym bag and I try not to pile things purposely on top of the regulator bag.

Those generic "Pelican" cases are sold as pistol cases at various outdoor stores like Cabalas and recently I found a very nice one at Walmart. I have one I bought several years ago that could easily carry a regulator but instead it carries my camera, housing, lenses and strobes.

Nem

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Crown Royal bag. I've got a ton of em - the ones you get when you buy the 1150ml size bottle - hic

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Lot's of us buy Crown Royal just for the purple bags!
The older I get the better I was.

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 pm

I don't know when they started using those bags, but it was pure marketing genius! I must have a dozen of them with gauges, regulators, things that go bang, and other delicate items wrapped carefully in them... And I don't even like CR...

If only there was a nice Australian port came in a soft felt bag... :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 pm

antique diver wrote:Lot's of us buy Crown Royal just for the purple bags!
I've been known to use those and I don't even drink Crown. I have a supplier though. LOL. Now, if Bacardi had bags, I could sell those!

Return to “General Discussions”