rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

DH'n with a dinosaur!

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:53 am

Another dive with my DAAM (Phoenix & HPR) - In nearly 25 years of diving here, this was only the second sturgeon I have seen in the Niagara River. Again, thanks Bryan for getting this double hose running again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: DH'n with a dinosaur!

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:00 pm

About 5 years ago I had a similar experience. I was diving in the James River in Richmond, VA when one swam right in front of me so close I could touch it. It was a big one. I only had it in sight for about five seconds as the water was stained from a recent rain. A short time later one swam right underneath me that was smaller, about 4 feet long. It was quite a thrill as it has only been fairly recently that the sturgeon populations have been increasing and they are returning to historical spawning grounds.

I did not have a camera to capture the moment and even if I had I was so startled by the fish looking up in the murky water I would not have had the presence of mind to use it, To be honest I was a bit startled by the unexpected sight of what is a dinosaur of a fish!

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: DH'n with a dinosaur!

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:24 pm

This is a grab of video that my buddy was shooting. It actually spooked from in front of him, bolted over in front of me (that is my shadow in the background) where i saw it, and shot back over to him, almost crashing into him. You would swear by the complete shake and wild whip on the actual video, that my buddy was attacked by a shark... I think the vis reduced even further by him s--tting himself.... :D
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “General Discussions”