Need some head protection.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:50 am

Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Need some head protection.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Looks like something no self-respecting side-mount cave diver engaged in covert counter-terrorism activities should be without. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 pm

That's going to me a NO for me Captain
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:07 pm

How would one wear a mask on his forehead between dives with a silly setup such as that? Besides, there's no protection from underwater baseballs either.

I think I'll pass. :arrow:
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 pm

couv wrote:How would one wear a mask on his forehead between dives with a silly setup such as that? Besides, there's no protection from underwater baseballs either.

I think I'll pass. :arrow:
My sentiments exactly, Couv! I would never wear something that would prevent me from placing my mask in the proper location on my forehead at the surface. :?
The older I get the better I was.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:23 am

I betcha they sell a ton of em - to the GOOEY crowd and . . . others - :roll:

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:07 am

Fricken FAST (Future Assault Shell Technology) helmet in my book is another waste of money of our Tax dollars. Funny thing is that these "operator" helmets started out back in the late 70s and early 80s as nothing more than OD/Camouflage painted Kevlar reinforced bicycle helmets for special purpose operators. Give me a well fitted MICH (Modular Integrated Communications)Helmet which offers better ballistic protection any day there "HighSpeed".
A butt load of Pogues who never operated tactically in a combat zone but claim expert experience status in the military contract world though they have never fired a shot in anger in most if not all cases, are going out of their way to buy fricken fast helmets at 2k a pop and they don't have the comms or other add ons for the thing, let alone a CSS and CS support element to make it effectual with real time digital HUD/return monitoring and IR/Thermal capability. That said, it must be nice to have a Cornucopia of special ops funds to waste on this shit if you have the optempo to get away with it. :lol:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

crimediver
Master Diver

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Back in the 90's I was issued a Kevlar helmet when I was on a narcotics task force in Virginia. I tossed it in the back of my vehicle with the rest of my junk. One night I was in a neighborhood when I ran out of gas. I could see a sign off on the main drag that said Exxon about a 3 blocks away. It was late at night and I did not want to call on the radio for help and embarrass myself and decided just to walk to the gas station. I did not have a container for the gas so I decided to fill up the helmet. It was the first and only time I ever used it but it did just fine.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:16 am

That helmet is a bit over the top but for dark water solo when I am carrying my camera, I would not mind some way to head mount my light head.

Nem

Return to “General Discussions”