ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Don't do this.

Mon May 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Just in case your scuba instructor skipped over this topic, or you flunked 6th grade science, or you really want to win a Darwin Award, you should know - NEVER FRIGGIN' LIGHT A CIGARETTE WHILE IN A HYPERBARIC CHAMBER UNDERGOING OXYGEN THERAPY !!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amber.html
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Don't do this.

Mon May 16, 2016 5:18 pm

DARWIN AWARD.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue May 17, 2016 4:19 am

Here is the link to the "Darwin Awards" website. Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it. Darwinism is alive and well in our "dumbed down" society. Check it out, read and LYAO!!!!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.darwinawards.com/
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 am

He already had a son, so he did not remove himself from the gene pool soon enough. Now the son is trying to blame the hospital for allowing his dad to sneak in the lighter into the chamber. The hospital was a non-smoking facility.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Tue May 17, 2016 10:41 am

old story... almost 2 years old.

But O2 is nothing to screw with, that's for sure. Especially HPO2, not too forgiving.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 pm

I just took the re-cert for PSI-PCI and one of the slides referenced some medical data about people on home oxygen therapy and the burns they sustain.

I don't recall the numbers, but this website estimates that about 20% of patients on home oxygen are still smoking. And medicare is reporting 685 patients were treated for burns related to home oxygen and smoking between 2001 and 2010. Anyway, I found thos stats surprising for some reason.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 134600.htm

The sad part about the chamber in China is that they had back log of patients and that chamber made getting treatment even more difficult.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Robohips77
Master Diver

Thu May 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Looks the inside of the NASA Gemini incident in the 60's? Pure O2 in that incident also.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu May 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Robohips77 wrote:Looks the inside of the NASA Gemini incident in the 60's? Pure O2 in that incident also.
Was that Gemini, or Apollo I with Grissom, White & Chaffee? I don't recall a Gemini mission fire but my brain is still a little fuzzy about the 60's. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Thu May 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Fri May 20, 2016 3:56 am

luis wrote:He already had a son, so he did not remove himself from the gene pool soon enough. Now the son is trying to blame the hospital for allowing his dad to sneak in the lighter into the chamber. The hospital was a non-smoking facility.
To bad that he already bred and had mentally retarded children. Dumb really does breed dumber! Dumb people always have enablers/manipulators that tell them to blame everything and everyone except themselves for poor decision making. The problem in a democracy is that dumb people also vote.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “General Discussions”