SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Contact Lens Update

Mon May 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Contact Lens Update
Something Better than Bifocals and Monovision
- At the suggestion of a few VDH Forum members, I've been using contact lenses when I dive and this allows me to use a normal diving mask. But since I normally wear bifocals and the contacts are single vision, I have had trouble reading my gauges in low light. I tried the "Monovision" approach which is to fit one eye for long distance and one for short. But I have some issues with my left eye that make this system unworkable for me. I couldn't get them to settle down and be comfortable.
- Last Fall I had another eye exam and for some reason, I no longer need correction for astigmatism in my right eye. So the new contact lenses were just single vision for both eyes with the right one not having astigmatism correction. Low and behold, in my late season scuba dives, I could now see my gauges just fine with my right eye.
- I asked the eye doctor about it and he said that correction for astigmatism always compromises some of your close vision clarity. So I asked him if he could just make the left eye lens with no astigmatism correction and he said I'll gain close vision clarity just like the right eye. But I'll lose a little clarity on longer distance vision. He said he could tweek it a little by pushing the correction from 5.50 to 6.00. Well, my left eye is not the dominant eye anyway. So, I had him go ahead and do that.
- Last weekend was the acid test on the new contact lenses... I could see crystal clear across the lake at Fortune Pond, crystal clear setting up my equipment, and crystal clear views of my gauges in the dark depths while diving.
- At least for me, contact lenses with no astigmatism correction are the way to go! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Re: Contact Lens Update

Mon May 09, 2016 1:45 pm

I always wore contacts with no trouble even when doing mask drills. Ive seen had the laser eye surgery and it is the best. Night driving isnt the best but i can wear glasses for driving.

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri May 13, 2016 9:21 pm

I know very little about how vision changes but I have friends whose eye problems corrected with age. I have been blessed with good vision but was told I would probably need glasses when I hit forty.
I hit 60 and still do not need glasses.
I have usually had an annual physical with an eye test for work and have had 20/15 vision and have never needed glasses. They were always surprised I had that kind of vision and I figured sooner or later it would change,
I have not had my vision checked in 2 years as I skipped the physical last year.

Last month I tore the meniscus in my knee and while at the Doc's office I went ahead and did the eye chart figuring it was time for my eyes to change. Darn if my eyes had gotten even better and I now have 20/10 in both eyes. Go figure, everything else on my frame is wearing out but I have eyes like an eagle. Next year I will have x-ray vision if it keeps going that way.

That is great news that your condition has improved and you found a way to increase the your vision when you dive. I am sure others can benefit from your technique.

I can assure you that I have still had problems reading some instrument when diving. I had a Citizen Aqualand watch with depth gauge and I could only see the numbers on the surface. it was useless underwater. I had issues with other gauges as well. A capillary gauge was very hard to see as well and was next to useless where I normally dived. If I could get a gauge in braille I would buy one.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 am

Wow that's great news! :D

Return to “General Discussions”