sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Enlarging the 2nd stage passage

Sun May 08, 2016 2:57 am

When this reg came to me, it was pretty beat up and I had to use silicon to seal the top can to the body ring...

Well, that wouldn't do, so I have straightened the cans. I also wanted to maximize the performance when I added a a Phoenix and an HPR by boring out the passage between the 1st stage and the 2nd stage.

Someone else did this, but I cannot find the thread from several years ago. I plan to leave the volcano orifice alone, but is there a real advantage to boring out the air passage? I've gone up, in two steps, to 13/64.

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Enlarging the 2nd stage passage

Sun May 08, 2016 7:00 am

I'm not sure the whole bore was enlarged, but the opening was tweaked some. That was Captains work if memory serves.

Jim

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Enlarging the 2nd stage passage

Sun May 08, 2016 4:41 pm

swimjim wrote:I'm not sure the whole bore was enlarged, but the opening was tweaked some. That was Captains work if memory serves.

Jim

Thanks Jim, it was Captain. It was a comment at the end of a Phoenix thread.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5697&p=48974&hilit ... +DA#p48974

I did not polish and soften the internal angles like Captain mentions, and to be honest, with a Phoenix and HPR installed, it's difficult to tell if my boring made things better.

Maybe on my next DA, I'll do a complete machining of the body... We'll see....
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “General Discussions”