rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

What would you do?

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Let me start by saying I am not a vintage diver... I love my Kraken, and I also dive old(er) single hose regs (60's, 70's and 80's). Call me a bad diver, but I "need" a SPG on my rig, and I dive with tanks ranging from "LP85's to HP120's" (2500+ - 3500+ psi). The "glamour" of shiny chrome bit me, and I secured a 1967-ish RAM (very good condition), but needs work as the DB is shot, and it needs a cleaning to get the crystalized DB out of it - it appears spotless except for this (I have not opened it as it has the c-clamps on the case, but the view through the horns is "impressive" as to its cleanliness on the intake side). At the same time, I might be obtaining a DA (while bidding on the RAM, a DA was offered to me), also in good shape, and fully functioning thanks to VDH doing work on it for the current owner. The original plan was to ship the RAM (I got it first) to VDH to get a Phoenix, HPR, and DBE installed on it. Now the DA is a strong possibility.... With limited financial resources for this endeavor for now, and "needing" the upgrade to either, would you upgrade the DA or the RAM? Curious to your thoughts...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: What would you do?

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Bob,

Call me a Philistine, but since there were more DAAMs made than RAMs and since the RAM appears nice, I would go ahead and PRAM the DAAM and keep the RAM original. And no, you are not a bad diver for desiring an SPG. I use long yokes to accommodate an SPG even on my favorite 59 Mistral. I do however dive vintage "pure" more now than when I first started. JMO

Russ
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:52 pm

DA's are the Toyota Corolla of the double hose world. Inexpensive, plentiful, reliable yet unremarkable. There are thousands of them still around and with only a few exceptions they have zero collector value. Dollar for dollar a DA is the right place to start building a project on.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Bryan wrote:DA's are Toyota Corolla of the double hose world. Inexpensive, plentiful, reliable yet unremarkable. There are thousands of them still around and with only a few exceptions they have zero collector value. Dollar for dollar a DA is the right place to start building a project on.

I like that description.

I also agree with upgrading the Aqua Master.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:59 am

I always smile when I see a DA on the market for 600.00 - really?
It's a good thing there are still thousands of them still around

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for the insight & rationale for the approach. Regrettably, the DA was not near the condition I was looking for once I got the pictures, and the price point was not, in my opinion, justified. So, Bryan, you will be receiving my RAM shortly to "pimp it up"....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:53 am

Bronze06 wrote: I would go ahead and PRAM the DAAM ...
If you PRAM the DAAM or a RAM, and get an o-ring in a jam, too much pressure and it might go bam and sound like you was back in Nam.

Ok, my brain gets all wonky when I haven't been diving in a few weeks.

P.S. George, I see those $600 project DAAMs advertised all the time. Even more amazing is when I see someone bought it. Anyone who wants one just send over a certified check for $600 and add $29.95 S&H, and i'll be happy to accommodate. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:10 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bronze06 wrote: I would go ahead and PRAM the DAAM ...
If you PRAM the DAAM or a RAM, and get an o-ring in a jam, too much pressure and it might go bam and sound like you was back in Nam.

Ok, my brain gets all wonky when I haven't been diving in a few weeks.

P.S. George, I see those $600 project DAAMs advertised all the time. Even more amazing is when I see someone bought it. Anyone who wants one just send over a certified check for $600 and add $29.95 S&H, and i'll be happy to accommodate. Mark
Me too, me too. I'll even throw in some extra C clips! :lol:

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 am

I harken back to the days of yesteryear, before everyone and their sister suddenly realized that stuff was "collectible" :( - I have an acquaintence down here that has literally a garage full of "antique" scuba gear but I doubt he would even consider becoming motivated to look through it. - I think it's the mother lode - :D I need him to put me in his will and my only inheritance would be the garage. I have no doubt I could take 5 years off and travel from Baja to Cayman Brac just on a partial sale of the garage "museum"

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:26 am

Bob,

Definitely PRAM the DAAM RAM, as that has got a good ring to it. Speaking of rings, make sure to upgrade to a band clamp, c-clips are for display or masochists. Also get silicone hoses and mouthpiece, duckbill eliminator, hose clamp thumbscrews (sounds like a torture device, but it's the opposite), and as you dive hp tanks, make sure to upgrade to a heavy duty yoke on the Phoenix, if not offered so initially. Your PRAM will then be almost as up to date as your Kraken.

Then once you have everything updated, and set to your liking for SPG usage, you'll become like the rest of us, and eventually shun SPGs. We just swim down, suck the tanks dry, then swim back up. :wink:

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:40 pm

If cash is an issue to get one up and running I would select the nicest set of cans. And sell RAM as is. Use cash from that sale to go all the way on the DAAM- Phoenix, HPR second , DBE & new hoses. Then if you still want a RAM buy a label from Simon beans

Return to “General Discussions”