Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tis the Season to......GET OFF MY LAWN

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

I’m going to rant a little so bear with me or move on……..

I like to go to gatherings where folks display a variety of stuff like cars, boats, guns, motorcycles etc and I’m sure many of you do as well. Like me many of you have had questions or are curious about what the person has done, why they did it or how they did it.

Quite often you will see the owner or exhibitor of the above items gathered in small groups or huddles of people slightly away from the general traffic flow. They are almost within earshot but still a little far away for polite conversation without shouting to get their attention. On the off chance you can get their attention you are often rebuffed with a curt answer or a sigh or even just a vacant stare…...I am not saying this ALWAYS happens but it has happened to me more than once and I live in the land of “Wintertime is the show off your stuff season” please come and look at it.
Last year at the Mt. Dora wood boat show I was looking at an antique Chris Craft that was propped up on a stand like a porcelain Jesus surrounded by signs and trophies and even a velvet rope like at the movies. Boat cost more than my first two homes put together and was indeed a real beauty! I was intrigued with the shifting mechanism and for the life of me could not figure out how it actually worked so I went around to the director's chair at the stern and attempted to ask the man wearing the captains hat how it functioned…….Guy looks at me as if I was wearing a coat made from dead kittens…..He replies “ Well I guess you are not acquainted with a vessel of this quality are you ?” For those who know me, you can only imagine the laundry list of replies I had ready at the tip of my tongue….. I just dropped it and turned and walked on to look at something else.

Why am I boring you with my story…..To make a point that sometimes here on the VDH Forum we come across like Captain stick in the ass in the paragraph above. As I said a few months ago getting into any new hobby or source of income depletion for recreation can and is intimidating…….To everyone and especially the veterans of the forum I ask simply that you take time to welcome new members, help them get acquainted, give advice and share experiences pertinent to the conversation.
If someone takes time to post a good article, idea or question take a moment if you can to reply...even if it’s just to say thanks for sharing. No need to come across as the village idiot or like a unicorn farting glitter and rainbows in your replies nor like Higgens boring Magnum to tears with another irrelevant story of Burma that had nothing to do with the subject he was asking about...

Rant over :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Tis the Season to......GET OFF MY LAWN

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:30 pm

He may well have not known either....he simply pays for someone else to do such things, he just likes to be admired for "restoring" it.

Now if anyone does have a video of a unicorn farting glitter, please post it. I would really like to see that. :)
Herman

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Herman,

Well, you asked for it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

Good ad for a "unique" product
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Well played George..........golf clap
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:36 am

I'd like to think that any true aficionado for an item would be more than happy to show anyone else the ins and outs of an item. I think Herman got it right in saying that the good ole captain was probably not the one who personally got his hands dirty restoring the boat.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:43 am

Shout out to any new people that have come aboard about the same time I did or after. Welcome aboard! :D That said, big thanks to all the "old Timers" here in the Forum. You all have been wonderful! MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL and to ALL a GOOD DIVE! :D
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 am

Bryan posted:
"No need to come across as the village idiot or like a unicorn farting glitter and rainbows in your replies nor like Higgens boring Magnum to tears with another irrelevant story of Burma that had nothing to do with the subject he was asking about..."

Nice... NOW I need to clean my laptop screen as a direct result of this comment. I need to NOT have iced tea in my mouth when I read the VDH forums. You never know what morsel of humor will come off of someones keyboard.

Bryan, I totally agree with your post. Forums are created by/for enthusiasts. Enthusiasts gain more knowledge by learning from each other. Posting in a forum of "experts" is very intimidating for some and if we (as double hose enthusiasts) want to grow this hobby.. err...addiction, we need to make this forum a place for people to feel free to ask or post anything appropriate. Everyone has been very supportive and patient with me when I joined back in 2012 and I want to do the same although I'm far from an expert. We all come from diverse backgrounds with different skill levels and amount of time spent underwater. This hobby/addiction brings us all together and I am grateful for that.

I didn't mean for this to be a soapbox moment... I'll shut up and clean my laptop now. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:17 am

Sorry about the keyboard Mike :D

The Captain was just one example used to make a point but I think most people got it :wink:

I often look at posts that have a really high number of views but little or no responses and think to myself.....Does no one have anything pertinent to add to this?

Luis and I were talking about this subject the other day and came to the conclusion that a great deal of questions people might have regarding vintage gear has already been discussed and can be found in the archives or by using the search box. .......This may be indeed true and that speaks well of all of us for helping to compile a resource that efficient........I KNOW there are a lot more folks out there in LURK mode who have never posted and I hope in the future they will join in the fun....

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:47 pm

It just goes to show you that you never know when a well placed "Higgins" reference will occur.

I loved it. :D

Laptop screen needed cleaning anyway. Just saying..
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:20 am

Bryan wrote:I often look at posts that have a really high number of views but little or no responses and think to myself.....Does no one have anything pertinent to add to this?
More often than not that's the case with me. I often feel I don't have anything useful to add, even when I find the topic very interesting.

At the same time I think most if not all forums seem to be struggling a bit. Photography ones in particular: it's getting harder and harder to find non-paid reviews, exchange opinions, ask and get a knowledgeable reply etc. VDH in comparison is actually faring way better.

Maybe our brains are being rewired by whatsapp/facebookian interfaces and leaving forums behind

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Wooden boat people are possibly among the most elite of boaters, by that I mean snobs. Well, except for antique and classic aircraft, it gets really deep there. I am pariah amongst the vintage Whaler group when long ago I sold my old Whaler and got a newer one which is not all that new anymore but does not have any teak :oops:

I have a coworker engineer who is a big shot amongst the wooden boaters, so he thinks. They host a regatta often in the fall on TRL. When on occasion I have been on TRL at that time I make sure to make a nice wake for them :twisted: , as I go by their usually broken down junk. One guy wanted a tow one time, I gave him the phone number for Sea Tow, like dude, where is your two way? Two years ago as we were towing home, a bicycle race had the main route out blocked so we took the "twisty" road out and there found "Captain stick in the axx" with his 35 foot long cabin cruiser stuck in a ditch. Several vehicles had stopped and a group of men had formed to push the D350 tow vehicle and boat out of the ditch. I assisted to what extent my bad back would allow. The unit was finally freed only to find one of the triple axles broken but they were able to limp on it seems to civilization, suppose having six tires has some advantages :D .

Yes, I resolve to be nice this year, mostly :shock: . But I will still wake those woodies. :lol:

Nem

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:54 am

Nemrod=surly.

I enjoy surliness in my dive buddies. :lol:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george