antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Professional SCUBA Repair in North Hollywood

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:40 am

captain wrote:I don't remember the exact year, sometime in the 70's I believe DOT had not yet adopted the ID number system to identify hydro testers. Prior to that many places had their own personal stamp symbol or just used a dash between month and year.

Not to mention an old dive shop or two around here that were unlicensed but tested and stamped cylinders with their own marks anyway. One guy that worked at one of the old shops for many years told me he just stamped new dates on his personal cylinders because he didn't want to stress them! :roll:

Both of those shops have been closed for many years, but no one can be sure that those practices aren't still going on elsewhere. :?
The older I get the better I was.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

antique diver wrote:
...he just stamped new dates on his personal cylinders ...
We used to call those tailgate hydro's. I have heard (back in the 70's) of some "hydro shop" providing a quick turn around service using this method... :roll:

I am sure it may still happen now a days, but it is a lot harder to do with the DOT number and the traceability. I have met the local DOT inspector at my LDS during a somewhat surprise visits. They were actually fined some serious coin for what I would consider relatively minor omissions (short cuts) in their record keeping.

The DOT inspector was surprisingly thorough during the inspection.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:38 am

I know of a shop that quit doing there own hydros about ten years ago because of a big fine over a trivial issue as well. It was a shame because that shop only charged $7.50 for the hydros when everyone else charged at least $18.00.
I once went to a tent sale at a LDS where folks could sell their used dive gear and the LDS was selling rental gear. Our dive team wanted to buy a bunch of their old rental tanks but they were all out of hydro. THe shop owner told us if we bought at least ten he would hydro the tanks for us for free. We agreed and he carried them back into the shop and about 10 minutes later they were all done. The guy was very efficient! :roll:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:46 am

VIP Sticker to go with those efficient hydro stamps :wink: :wink:
Homey.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I remember in the early 70's and into the mid 80's when John Hoynacki (John the Diver) in Branson, Mo would tap the tank with a hammer and by sound tell if the cylinder was good :shock: . He would then just stamp a date on the cylinder By the time I worked there in 85 to 87 cylinders were sent out for hydro. :)

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Bryan wrote:VIP Sticker to go with those efficient hydro stamps :wink: :wink:
Homey.jpg
Now that is a true classic! Thanks for the memory. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Superlite wrote: ... would tap the tank with a hammer and by sound tell if the cylinder was good ...
Obviously, this is not a replacement for a hydro test or even a yearly visual, but with steel tanks, this test should be done every time just before filling the cylinder (per CGA codes).

It is called a hammer test. You just lightly hit the side of a steel cylinder and if there is significant rust it will not have the distinctive bell sound, it will sound dull.

The hammer test does detect significant rust fairly easy, but will not detect a number of other defects like pits, cracks, or material condition.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:39 am

Tailgate Hydro is still in effect loud and clear over here. Luckily I have access to a real hydro test chamber vis-a vis the Brits over here. You hear that Britmarine? :mrgreen:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Scoles2
First Name: thomas

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 am

Al Thompson was a machinist, so he would make special parts if needed. He also made special gear for stuntmen when needed. Each year he had a holiday party at the shop that was the largest gathering of divers around. No one left the shop without testing their regulator on the pony bottle be mounted in the front counter. Not only did you get your old parts back, also the q-tip he used to clean your valve stem. Sorry to say, his high standards were the exception and not the rule in those days. He tumbled, others used sand to clean tanks. He resurfaced valve seats, other replaces. He had a car drive through his front window once. After that he advertised "drive thru service". I do not have a coffee mug but do have a tape measure from his giveaway days. His smile and workmanship was a big loss to the diving community.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 pm

What a great thread. Thank You all for the information.

I recently bought a Healthways Gold Label here in Sitka, Alaska that has a Professional Scuba Repair sticker on it:

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “General Discussions”