antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Interest in computer forum?

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Edgebox2 (2).JPG
Need an original box? One side of the plastic "hinge" is broken but could probably be repaired with a little epoxy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:00 pm

That's awesome. Heck yes I will take that. You don't by chance have the paper manual do you? I've been looking for one of those for a while. Mine is a scan of one.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:37 am

slonda828 wrote:That's awesome. Heck yes I will take that. You don't by chance have the paper manual do you? I've been looking for one of those for a while. Mine is a scan of one.
We can thank our friend CB, owner of Grapevine Scuba for the Edge boot and box. Seeing that he had a couple of the computers in his Vintage display, I asked if he had an extra boot he could part with for you. He found this boot and box, and said you could have it, even if you were a friend of mine! :? No manual though, and I can't find mine either.

This is a good place to trade, and if you would like to contact CB and Pam: http://www.grapevinescuba.com It's a friendly dive shop, and not a "dive boutique". He's even got a 50' fill hose with several yokes, so you can back up a truckload of tanks and fill them in the parking lot. Scubapro Platinum Pro dealer, does all his own repairs and service, etc.

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:31 am

BT,

That shop looks great. You should ask him to stick some of his used stuff up on his page so guys like me from out of state can buy it, unless he has an ebay. Please send him my gratitude.

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks to CB and Pam for the awesome Orca Edge box! I will drop them a note on their page as well.

Creed
Master Diver

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:17 am

I guess I post to a long dead thread and revive it. My first computer was The Edge. It was old when I got it. Sold it a few years ago, and now I'm kicking myself because I want to play with one. If I do dig one up, does anyone happen to have a source for o rings?
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:10 pm

You should be able to find a square profile O ring at any commercial O ring supply company. If not McMaster-Carr has them. As best as I can measure it is
a -046 or -047. O ring sizes are identified by dash number.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=z4ezns
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 pm

I picked up an old conshelf the other day off Ebay and it had one of those old '70s giant three guage + consoles attached with a nice Suunto pressure guage and compass.  Couldn't tell what was in the middle hole of the console, sort of looked like just a blank filler or spacer of some sort. Anyway, I took all twelve screws out of the console and when I opened it the "spacer" was actually the back side of a Suunto ML dive computer in perfect condition.  Someone had stuck it in upside down - very odd. I replaced the batteries and it works great. It started counting my surface interval and scrolling through the no deco limits at each 10' of depth like they are supposed to do. I now have two, including the original one I bought new when they first came out. Quite a find considering I only paid $12 for the reg and console.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 am

Those original Suunto computers just keep on working! I have a fully functional one that recently found its way back to me from the the friend I sold it to new in the 80's.

Ron
Site Admin

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Those SME-ML "smelly" Suuntos are tanks. I've had two. Both were almost my age and still worked like a champ. They are clearly well built when you take them apart too.

Luis has the spare one I had, and as far as I know he's still using it too.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 am

IMG_1229.jpg
Came across an old computer as well (Sub Gear Nitron). At first glance, I thought it was toast, but it powered right up on touching the terminals. It’s has gel potted electronics so nothing user serviceable inside. Battery (1/2 AA) though IS user replaceable.

On testing, it registered correct depths and NDLs in my pressure pot compared against my Perdix, which leads me to think it’s running a Bühlmann algorithm as well. Scoured the web for more info, but couldn’t find any match.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:00 am

At first glance it looked like you were testing it in a blender, then I realized that must be a water filter. Good idea... what is the pressure rating?

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 am

The DIY pot I used is indeed a water filter. The one I have is rated up to 120 PSI - though I only really use it up to 80psi when testing computers and other items that I've rebuilt (equivalent to about 55 meters in depth). Modified it by putting in pressure gauge, and I pressurise using a hand held tire pump. I used to use a tank of compressed air, but found out that the pump worked just as well - albeit slower. Its a great tool as well when trying to compare computers head-to-head. Second photo is me testing the Xdeep Black computer after I replaced its OLED screen. Of course, I always use eye pro when doing these tests...

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 pm

That's a great idea, Ed! Makes me feel kinda dumb for lugging around my 30 pound test pot for 44 years, so I am going to retire it to the barn this week and build one using your idea. I'll probably mount it on a very lightweight stand for easy mobility, and won't have a weight-lifting workout every time I get the urge to pressure test something.

This was built from a piece of 7.25" OD, 0.25" wall pipe, with a viewing port of 1" acrylic. Stands about a foot tall, with usable inside dimensions of 8" tall by 6.25" ID. A friend that worked at a serious machine shop made it from my sketch in about 1974, and did a great job - much better than I expected.
pressure chamber1.JPG
pressure chamber2.JPG

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Ron wrote:
Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 am
Captain Tom,

Mine is the very first version, without any mounting points or lanyards or anything at all. Got any idea? Mine literally looks like a brick, front and back. Interestingly though, mine came with a really fancy metal plate with the square o-ring molded into it instead of just the o-ring, which I have heard used to leak.

$_35.JPG
This is to Dive Computers what the Slide Rule was to Calculators.

Return to “General Discussions”