Creed
Master Diver

A new adventure

Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Looks like I'll soon have Kansas in my rear view mirror. The company I work for is moving me out to the San Jose, CA, area early this summer. No Sand Dog this year(which sucks), but I've got a co-worker who is a dive instructor and he's chomping at the bit to get me out in Monterey Bay. Whatever will I do without my crappy Kansas lake diving? /sarcasm
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

dacordiver23
Skin Diver
First Name: Jordan

Re: A new adventure

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Lucky! You are perfectly placed to jump to Catalina Island, Newport Beach, HCMS Yukon and the rest. A great reference in the area is the publication "California Diving News", it covers both Northern and Southern CA sites and has listings for local clubs and major events in the region. http://cadivingnews.com/

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Road trip to see Creed!!!!!
Herman

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Creed wrote:Looks like I'll soon have Kansas in my rear view mirror. The company I work for is moving me out to the San Jose, CA, area early this summer. No Sand Dog this year(which sucks), but I've got a co-worker who is a dive instructor and he's chomping at the bit to get me out in Monterey Bay. Whatever will I do without my crappy Kansas lake diving? /sarcasm
Congratulations on your relocation. You're headin torwards my old stomping ground. (I hope you're prepared for the housing prices in the San Jose area....)

You'll like diving Monterey. 20 years ago, we would stay at the Borg's motel in Pacific Grove and stuff ourselves with Pelican Pizza(they have great anchovies).

If you feel like taking a small road trip, head up North to Anchor Bay. Beautiful camp ground with some great diving off the Southern side of the beach. If you go a little farther north, you'll hit Russian Gulch State Park. Another great dive site, with hiking trails and picnic areas for any non-divers you bring along.

As Dacordiver said, you will be a days drive from San Pedro and the Catalina Dive Boats. If you like lobster, that is a great place to dive in the fall. Late winter in Catalina is also great diving and super awesome viz. If you stay on the Island you'll enjoy the night life also. Just watch out if you go to Luau Larry's... The Weeky Wacker has caused me trouble on a couple of occasions.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 pm

(I hope you're prepared for the housing prices in the San Jose area....)
Now there is a whole separate conversation. Luckily, I'm getting a cost of living adjustment, with another one next March, so I should be OK. Going to rent at first, up in the San Ramon area for the schools.

Point Lobos and Catalina are both on the list of dives he is planning. He's quite enthusiastic! I've taken up jogging so that I don't make a fool of myself, hoovering along. Lake and Gulf shore diving have made me lazy, and he's promised to whip my sorry ass into shape. :D

In addition to diving, he's also been sailing in that area for 30 years, so I'm looking forward to some time on deck, too.

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 pm

A great reference in the area is the publication "California Diving News", it covers both Northern and Southern CA sites and has listings for local clubs and major events in the region
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
Road trip to see Creed!!!!!
I'll throw some dogs on the grill if you do!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Congrats and good luck in the Golden State, expecting to see pics and stories.

James

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Nemrod wrote:Congrats and good luck in the Golden State, expecting to see pics and stories.

James
Thanks, James! If you ever feel like road tripping to the other coast, you will always have a dive buddy there :D

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:10 am

Good Luck! Those big kelp forests always looked pretty cool to me, should be lots of fun. :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Creed
Master Diver

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 am

8dust wrote:Good Luck! Those big kelp forests always looked pretty cool to me, should be lots of fun. :mrgreen:
Videos like this have me counting the days:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWvCFcGjkE0[/video]

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:06 am

Welcome to Kalifornia!

While living in San Jose I would suggest that you take the opportunity to visit the local museum and the Stan Shelly Vintage Diving collection. Stan was a dear friend, a pioneer CenCal diver/shop owner, early NAUI instructor (# around 200)and was very active in the effort to have the red & white design adapted as the official flag of recreational diving.

It is indeed a different diving world in Kalifornia- big surf, kelp,cold water, but year round diving - no snow, sleet or freezing rain.

It is where it all began and on occasion you will bump into those who were there when it began...You're notin Kans Ass any more!

SDM

Creed
Master Diver

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 am

21 wrote:Welcome to Kalifornia!

While living in San Jose I would suggest that you take the opportunity to visit the local museum and the Stan Shelly Vintage Diving collection. Stan was a dear friend, a pioneer CenCal diver/shop owner, early NAUI instructor (# around 200)and was very active in the effort to have the red & white design adapted as the official flag of recreational diving.

It is indeed a different diving world in Kalifornia- big surf, kelp,cold water, but year round diving - no snow, sleet or freezing rain.

It is where it all began and on occasion you will bump into those who were there when it began...You're notin Kans Ass any more!

SDM
Dr. Miller,
When I get there, I'd consider it an honor to meet up at a watering hole and buy you a round of your preferred beverage while talking about diving.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:05 pm

This web page is a good one to take a look at.

Baue is a local group. Good source for up to date weather and swells. Nice photos.Truly stellar quality group and web site.

http://www.baue.org/reports/dive_locations.php
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Myxicola
Diver
First Name: Douglas

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:36 pm

maybe we want to start doing some California kayak diving in the coming years?

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Backplate diving. summer diving in Catalina, San Clemente Island. Backside San Miguel will blow your mind. We dive the summer in trunks, T-shirts, VDH regs and ducks - masks and snorkels, steel tanks and NO WEIGHT BELTS :))))

The boats are Sundiver International out of Alamitos Bay. A 26 knot sixpack, a 24 knot Express and a 14 knot liveaboard
I prefer the faster boats because you get there and back in a hurry. Last year ( summer) we had 74F water to 100 fsw. Unlimited vis a ton because of El Niño - Whale Sharks, Mantas, Hammers - hell, Bluefin Tuna 2 miles off Mission Bay in San Diego

Return to “General Discussions”