Boyet
Diver
First Name: Isagani

Food Grade Silicone Spray

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 am

Guys,
I purchase at Bass Pro Shop some FOOD GRADE SILICONE SPRAY that I use to clean my Rocket fins. It says in the label that it does not damage rubber and also protects it. My main diaphragm is still the original rubber. Have you guys ever use silicone spray to clean it or is it bad that you don't recommend it.
Thanks,
Boyett

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Food Grade Silicone Spray

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:08 am

I have used silicone and not always food grade on rubber item for years.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 am

In my opinion this is the best place for an original diaphragm.

Secondly please be careful with using silicone or any other type of grease on your regulator.....Too much on the edge of the diaphragm and there is a possibility it can slip out of place under heavy demand. Excess grease attracts and holds every tiny bit of grit and sand and makes surfaces abrasive.
In the USD manual it does not call for any lubricant at all. Use it sparingly at best.

A new silicone diaphragm will give you a noticeable decrease in your WOB, never needs lubricating and is almost impervious to the elements.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Please NEVER slather your diaphragm with grease! I wish that certain people would stop telling the new guys to do this! It is very dangerous. There is a lot of misinformation out there from armchair divers so be careful what or who you listen to. You have come to the right place for the good 411 however.

Return to “General Discussions”