Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Re: Custom Regulators

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:04 am

I'm offended, Allan....not enough PINK. :) You did a great job of getting almost every "group" represented though. Kudos....

I have one serious issue that has nothing to do with regs and everything to do with PINK stuff:

I was in my local gun shop this past weekend, first time in a long time. I mean a LONG time. I was actually offended that they make a wide variety of pink GUNS. A LOT of pink guns. Maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way, but to me, it takes a potentially lethal object and attempts to make it.....cute. As a gal, I was offended. Am I being overly sensitive here? OTOH, I wouldn't buy pink dive gear either, but I think that's different. Why? Beats me...

BTW, I made a few very nice purchases. They are very non-Pink. :P

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:50 am

Yeah, pink guns seem un-American to me. They are a sympton of the decay of this great country. Would the Duke have toted a pink Peacemaker? Would Chesty Puller hump a pink Garand. The answer is not only NO!, it is Hell No! and you don't have to even think twice about it. The reference to pink scuba gear is also appropriate. Why would someone make pink scuba gear. It is LIFE SUPPORT equipment, just like a gun is!

I suppose in these hard economic times it is a marketing ploy to sell guns to those people who really would not be buying a gun except for the cute factor. These people should not entrusted with a gun if they only are buying it because it looks cute to them.

I must admit there was a time I thought all guns must have a nice deep blued finish on them. I cherished the rich finish on my Belgium Brownings and L.C. Smiths.
It all changed for about 20 years ago when I saw an employee at my local gun shop sanding down a Browning and applying a camo finish with an airbrush. It was like nails on a blackboard watching him roughing up the metal and wood with some sandpaper. But the camo job turned out real nice and as a waterfowler I could appreciate the finish on the gun. It was pretty impervious to moisture and the subdued finish did not flare ducks. He would paint your gun with whatever camo scheme you liked. Woodland camo, Mossy oak, Realtree, it did not matter. He was pretty good at it. I began to think about having a gun camoed more and more

At the time I was a narcotics investigator and did a lot of stakeouts in marijuana plots. I had a folding stock Remington 870. We wore gilley suits on our stakeouts but the gun always stood out. It was time to make the jump. I took the shotgun to him and he painted it up for me. Instead of using the standard oak leaf background I had him paint marijuana leaves on it. He was slick and told me he did not know what marijuana leaves looked like and asked me to bring him some samples. I told him that was a good try and instead I brought him a High Times magazine that had great pics of pot leaves. He painted up the gun just right and it was the envy of all the other guys on my unit. I traded the gun off years ago but as a result I am okay with a camo gun or one with a subdued finish. A lot of us now carry a Colt M-4 that is dipped and has a camo finish. The danger with a gun like that is laying it aside to eat, etc and having to look to find out where you laid it. I believe Chesty would see the benefit in a gun like that.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:41 am

I think that if pink gets guns in the hands of women, then I don't care what color it is. More guns=better. There wouldn't be pink guns if there wasn't a market for it.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 am

Slonda, I would have normally agreed with you about arming all women, but I have modified my position on this and believe only certain women should be armed. I had the interesting experience of being shot by a woman exactly 8 years ago today. Usually a man should have the pleasure of a woman's company first before she ups and shoots you, but in my case I had never laid eyes on her before.

After getting shot my partner and I drew down on her as she was leaving the area and told her to drop her gun. We both thought it was a man until her feminine voice said "Is there a problem?"

My partner Joe said "You've been shot by a girl." I replied "I knew it was just a matter of time before one shot me."

I got ribbed about it by the guys, but at least I have the consolation of not being weight-integrated by a woman armed with a PINK gun!

Aileron
Master Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Crimediver: Talk about insult to injury, shot with a pink gun. Oomph...

Maybe I'm too sensitive to it. I have a pink laptop that I'm typing on right now..(hubby bought it for me a few years back). Pink dive gear? OK. It would look ridiculous on me, but looks great on other women.

Pink guns=overkill. (pun intended) I agree with Ron, there is obviously a market for them. But the mindset of a person who would purchase a gun BECAUSE it's pink, is an entirely different thing. And I don't doubt that is exactly why a lot of them are sold. I heard it while standing there looking at my new non-pink Ruger. Almost every female who passed by made a statement to that effect. "Aw, how cute!"

**sigh**
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:06 pm

I remember when I bought my PT738, they had to call me back to verify which kind of 2 toneI wanted it in: stainless/black or stainless/raspberry. There's a surprising number of raspberry customers out there! (I got the black version).

Now regarding regs, I like good-looking regs just like the next person - but for me, "good-looking" incorporates a high degree of functionality. Thus, if it isn't really functional, it not that appealing to me - which is probably a reason why I find the top can of Snarks kind of funny looking :D

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I've always thought that color, caliber, sight type...... Noen of it really matters so lang as you know how to use the weapon and can hit what your aiming.

Also, I've been shot at a few times. Never shot - thankfully, just shot at.... And I can honestly tell you that I had NO IDEA what color the guns were.

My newest custom regulator is painted with cloaking urethane, here's a pic:

:)
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Nice reg. It reminds me of a movie I saw where a boy could turn invisible.. but only when no one was looking.
Ever since I saw an old DA that Ivan was selling with all the chrome removed I've been fantasizing about stripped cans with a rich green patina - and I mean that in a good way :mrgreen:
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:26 am

O M G, Dale! If it wasn't for your post, I'd would've never gotten Sitka's post about the "cloaking" regulator. I was about to attribute it to a broken link or something. Several times I was about to post something like "Hey Sitka, the photo doesn't show" or something like that. Good thing I didn't - evidence of me having a slow day... :D

Ooops! Too late! :D

Aileron
Master Diver

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 am

DaleC wrote:Nice reg. It reminds me of a movie I saw where a boy could turn invisible.. but only when no one was looking.
Ever since I saw an old DA that Ivan was selling with all the chrome removed I've been fantasizing about stripped cans with a rich green patina - and I mean that in a good way :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm telling your wife. :twisted:
NAVED #205

Return to “General Discussions”