Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Healthways Deluxe conversion

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:33 am

With the advent of the new diaphragms for Healthways and the subsequent feedback about their performance, I had to give HW a try.

I saw this reg on eBay advertised initially as a Gold-Label, but later it turned out to be a Deluxe without the venturi assist:

Upon receiving it, the cans cleaned up rather nice:

But since the previous owner had already etched their name on the cans, and careful examination of the cans led me to believe that the cans were already rechromed, I had no reservations in re-doing the cans in a different fashion - so I decided on a matte black finish.

Internally, I had to find a way to create a venturi assist. Initially, since the rechrome job was in good condition, I tried a reversible conversion, but since the resultant amount of air flow was limited, I decided to go whole hog and just cut out a channel for the tube:

I brazed the copper tube into position and placed a disc above it (initially fashioned from an extra brass label, but eventually ended up using the fiberglass insert from my old Mistral diaphragm)

(yes the locking nut is missing. It broke! If I can't find a replacement, I may just have to make one)

Slapped on the new diaphragm, and positioned the cans together with the venturi tube pointing down the horn:

Now here's where I hit a snag. Unlike the Gold-Label, the Deluxe doesn't have that extra lip that goes around the rim. So when trying to slap the two cans together, I had some difficulty aligning the two cans. I could get it shut, but it wasn't as straight as it could be. I ended up grinding off just a bit off the lip of the bottom can to get the two to mate properly. Its a good thing that the new diaphragms have a grooved surface on one side to aid in aligning the cans.

I set the levers to about the level of the cans (I just love how easy it is to set the HW lever height :D ), and tried it out in the pool:

As Swimjim said before, the zone is there but its pretty thin. I noted a big improvement in breathing characteristics after setting the lever height a little more aggressively. Needless to say, my results might be a bit different because after all, this isn't really a Gold Label to begin with, but maybe with a bit more tweaking, I can get it to breathe as well as my Mistral :D.

Quick question regarding a real Gold-Label: When you depress the diaphragm, does it go into an uncontrolled free-flow? Currently, my set-up lets enough air into the cans itself that upon depression of the diaphragm, it flows for a while then stops. I might need to re-do the disc to minimize air entering the cans. Suggestions?

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Re: Healthways Deluxe conversion

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:14 am

A number of venturi tubes are aimed slightly to the side of the opening, causing a bit of a back pressure that keeps the free flow from occurring. Steve

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:43 am

My GL has a pretty violent freeflow with no hoses installed and it will not stop until you do something. Instead of too much leakage, my guess is the air speed exiting the venturi is not high enough- too large of a hole in the tube. If you look at the Mistal it's actually fairly small.
Herman

Drado
Master Diver

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 am

Y'know, that might be it... if I increase the velocity of the air flow into the horn, it'll increase the suction inside the can, enhancing the venturi assist...

I guess I can try brazing a small restrictor at the end of the nozzle... my first thought was for an epoxy plug, but I don't think I'd like high velocity air shooting it out down my intake nozzle... :P Aside from brazing, any other suggestions are welcome. I could try crimping it...

Herman, is the Gold Label tube hole the same size as in a Mistral?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:15 am

PM
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Drado
Master Diver

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks Allan! :D

Drado
Master Diver

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Well, I went ahead and put a small crimp at the end of the nozzle to increase the velocity of the exiting air, and I made up a silicone gasket to reduce air loss around the fiberglass disc. Success! I can now replicate the free-flow condition described earlier. It was fun getting it to function :D Of course, I still have no way of comparing its function to a real GL...

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm

That's a nice looking reg Ed. You are really learning how to work the nuts and bolts of these things (an area I still struggle with). Now I whave someone else I wish I lived beside (along with Captain and Luis). Of course, it would be hard prying me away from the frozen north to dwell in the land of perpetual palm trees... oh well, there's a down side to everything.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Drado
Master Diver

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:18 am

Well, as an update after almost a year, I finally "completed" this project by returning the reg back into its chromed state. Redid the venturi tube by making it a bit shorter, so I get a fantastic gush of air without any free-flows - on the bench, that is. Will try out in water next week.

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Looks like bigger hoses and mouthpiece than the original HW. You will be glad you did that! My "all original" gold label honked like a goose and sucked like a pig even when tweaked all I could. Return valves / cages and mouthpiece were just too small for good breathing IMHO. Great job there Sir!

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Turned out great Ed. I can't wait to hear about your first dive with it.

? - Do you have photos of the venturi tube after trim and re-fit?
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

jwalz
First Name: Jim

Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Drado, I recently purchased a Deluxe as well. Where did you get the Healthways label? It looks new? My original label is not in the best shape...jim

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

jwalz wrote: Where did you get the Healthways label? .jim
Labels by A&D Adventures

http://vintagedoublehose.com/index.php? ... ort=normal
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Drado
Master Diver

Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 am

Get in touch with Simonbeans. I believe he might have a few of them :)

His contact is:

[email protected] Just drop him an email and he will provide all information about ordering a label. He provides fast and courteous service.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Mon May 27, 2013 9:55 am

Looks great Ed!
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Return to “General Discussions”