dukenougat3d
Skin Diver
First Name: Jack

Re: Healthways Deluxe conversion

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:14 pm

Now here's where I hit a snag. Unlike the Gold-Label, the Deluxe doesn't have that extra lip that goes around the rim. So when trying to slap the two cans together, I had some difficulty aligning the two cans. I could get it shut, but it wasn't as straight as it could be.
Sorry for the bump, but I'm having the same problem currently - Robert from The Scuba Museum told me it's possible that the clamp could have had the edges flattened a bit to better seal an aging diaphragm, but I'm slightly beginning to think this isn't the case. I'm trying to look for options to close my two cans without having to drastically modify anything, as I'm still new to this, lacking in tools, and don't wanna screw anything up.

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:50 am

I decided I'm gonna go with your method and just grind the lip on the rim down to a flat edge - a dremel should make handy work of that, but how would one get underneath the hose stem "horn" without damaging it? There's not that much clearance for anything to fit under there and I wanna be sure to do an even job.

Also, most of the corrosion on my cans are under the mushroom valve seat, and since I probably won't be able to undo the brazing without damaging anything, I'll use the dremel to cut a bigger hole to access the corrosion and install a duckbill valve in place of the mushroom. Using a duckbill would also eliminate the diaphragm interfering with the exhaust.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 am

[quote="dukenougat3d"Also, most of the corrosion on my cans are under the mushroom valve seat, and since I probably won't be able to undo the brazing without damaging anything, I'll use the dremel to cut a bigger hole to access the corrosion and install a duckbill valve in place of the mushroom.[/quote]
Have you run the can through an ultrasonic cleaner? Works for me most of the time. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Have you run the can through an ultrasonic cleaner? Works for me most of the time.
How expensive is that, typically? Keep in mind, I'll still need to get these cans rechromed and not to mention the valve seat itself is still pretty bent-up.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:14 pm

dukenougat3d wrote:
Have you run the can through an ultrasonic cleaner? Works for me most of the time.
How expensive is that, typically? Keep in mind, I'll still need to get these cans rechromed and not to mention the valve seat itself is still pretty bent-up.
I got mine for $50. I see decent ones advertised for jewelry cleaning for anywhere from $35 to $100. I've used it on every double hose regulator I've rebuilt. Unless the chrome is completely thrashed, it makes chrome look like new. Plus my wife gets all her rings, necklaces and other assorted expensive things all shiny and new looking. A must have in my book. My 2 psi. Google it. Good luck. Mark

P.S. Here is a link to one like I got. It's more expensive now but there are others less expensive that work just as good. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman-re ... lsrc=aw.ds
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:22 pm

I got mine for $50. I see decent ones advertised for jewelry cleaning for anywhere from $35 to $100. I've used it on every double hose regulator I've rebuilt. Unless the chrome is completely thrashed, it makes chrome look like new. Plus my wife gets all her rings, necklaces and other assorted expensive things all shiny and new looking. A must have in my book. My 2 psi. Google it. Good luck. Mark
The chrome on mine is pretty wrecked in a few spots, especially under the valve housing. I still might look into that process, though but I think for the sake of easier maintainance, I'll look into modding the valve seat/housing to shelter a duckbill. No sense in rechroming a part with irreversible damage to it. If rechroming ends up bing too expensive, I might look into a matte black finish. Thanks for the advice, though!

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Forgot about this post... Update on the rebuild, and sorry for hijacking the thread with my own case, but I should mention I AM NOT modifying the cans in any way other than rechroming now.

I've long since sent the cans out to BAR Plating to get redone and they're all finished now, but just going over a few struggles with payment - my financial advisor doesn't think it's wise to phone them the credit card info as suggested to me by the owner, so currently I'm trying to get a cashier's check mailed out. Almost sent out a personal check by mistake, but now the struggles is getting a chance to go the bank to get the check and of course, the wait after getting it mailed out and praying that they don't pocket the check without sending the cans (being a military surplus and gas mask collector before a vintage scuba collector has left me cynical as there are a LOT of people who want to rip you off in that community as opposed to the large level of trust there seems to be among the diving community).
Communication is slow and minimal from BAR Plating, at least for me so I'm afraid of the outcome - all this all could've been avoided had they accept paypal.

On a side note, I'm also going to look into getting some black silicone hoses and a USN mouthpiece just for the heck of it. Mainly because I've heard that Healthways mouthpieces are terrible breathers and not to mention my original neoprene hoses and mouthpiece have minor cracking here and there plus the original mouthpiece band clamps don't seem that sturdy of a grip (I can still rotate the mouthpiece, even when tightened down). But that's another story...

My cans after plating, still at BAR Plating Inc as this is posted:

Return to “General Discussions”