Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

My trip to Coz

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm

As much as I'd like to tell you all that I had some spectacular dives in my yearly trip to Cozumel.....

The first dive of the first day on the second day of my vacation, I geared up with Phoenix and went down the stairs to enter the turquoise waters, and on the last step, I twisted my ankle, heard a pop and fell. I had stepped into a hole that the sand had disquised as a solid surface. I ended up at the hyperbaric chamber/medi-clinic, got pretty excellent care (for Mexico). I received an xray, IV, half a foot cast, crutches, steroids and pain killers.

It turns out that if you drink enough rum, you really don't need pain killers except when your NOT drinking. My ankle did swell nicely, I could have used it as a personal floatation device. (I'm sure the swelling was directly proportional to the amount of alcohol I consumed, so use your imagination). On the last day of vaca, my foot was literally black from bruising. Yep, I thought it had gangrene and my husband called DAN. They were super, but really couldn't help, just asure us my appendage probably wasn't dead. Yet.

Fast forward to today.....Since I've been home, I had another x-ray, turns out it's fractured and I tore the ligament off something in there. I'm doing well, walking around like normal and it's not so black. Probably won't be getting wet for a while still.

All I can say is...thank God I got a pedicure. :D
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: My trip to Coz

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:08 pm

That sucks! I hope you mend well and can make it to Sand Dog this year. The really important question is...... Was the PRAM hurt in the fall? :lol:

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Lisa, that's horrible. Glad to see you are trying to be upbeat about it at least.

On the bright side, it probably has slowed you down enough so your husband can catch you :wink: That ought to keep you busy for awhile...
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 am

Dang! Not quite the trip report I was expecting! :( Hope you feel better soon! :D

(I had to double-check to make sure I said "FEEL" better as opposed to "FELL" better :P - a freudian slip? :D )

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:38 am

All I can say is...thank God I got a pedicure. ,,,,,,

I'm sorry to hear that your trip was spoiled, but I love your pedicure mantra, I agree whole heartedly. Hope you're mending well.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:02 am

Well it's a good thing you had rum, the cure all. Drink enough and you just don't care. Worked pretty well when I blew a disk in my back. LOL. I hope your path to recovery is a short one!

Jim

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:21 am

Sorry to hear you got hurt but it's good news you are on the mend. You need to hobby right now as part of your recovery theropy so it's a perfect time to start rebuilding a new regulator.....or at least that would be my story. :)
Herman

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:58 am

I can definitely relate to this. Last July I was walking down some rip-rap on a steep bank to get in the water. A rock shifted and I fell. Fortunately I had several other sharp rocks to land on which helped cushion my fall and luckily my head took the brunt of it or it could have been really bad. But I screwed up my ankle and wrist pretty good. I am just now feeling 100% healed. You will mend up as well but an ankle injury is just so darn inconvenient, especially as it screwed up your diving. I wish you a speedy recovery!

seakrakken
Master Diver

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 am

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Regards,
Bob

Aileron
Master Diver

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone! It's getting better everyday.

No PRAMs were hurt in the making of this busted vacation. And my pedicure has held up nicely. If my reg had taken the fall too, it would have been perverbial icing on the cake. And I agree Herman, I definitely need another reg project while I heal. Hm, what shall it be? Suggestions?

Cheers!!!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Aileron wrote:Thanks everyone! It's getting better everyday.

No PRAMs were hurt in the making of this busted vacation. And my pedicure has held up nicely. If my reg had taken the fall too, it would have been perverbial icing on the cake. And I agree Herman, I definitely need another reg project while I heal. Hm, what shall it be? Suggestions?

Cheers!!!
Well looking at your current list (and it's impressive I might add :mrgreen: ) the easiest thing to get and built would be a Healthways Gold Label, esp since ROB has the new diaphgrams done.
Herman

USdiver
Master Diver

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Lisa,

Well at least it makes for a memorable vacay, (if not for the right kind of memories). And, to make matters more bearable, the rum and tequila must have been flowing freely in order to help you forget your worries.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend, and that your vintage equipment wasn't hurt in the accident.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:03 am

I agree with Herman... a HW could be your next project :D

Of course, now that the new diaphragms are out, prices on eBay seem to have soared...

Aileron
Master Diver

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:32 am

Hmmmm, HW.....sounds like a winner! It's always nice when the parts are readily available too. (Thanks Rob!)

I'm on it....updates to come! Without broken appendages, I hope.
NAVED #205

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:02 am

Bummer, glad you're OK

Return to “General Discussions”