Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Advice and recommendations please....

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 am

YankDownUnder wrote:Some of theses may be too expensive :

1. Black 'one piece' type Aqua Lung hose assemblies made with silicone valves inside.

I know the cost and have a few companies quote on it and I don't think I would ever sell enough to recoup the cost....If I made black everyone would want blue..

2. Balanced single stage mechanisms that could be installed into the plastic cans.
I know what the Phoenix cost to get off the ground and it is like pulling teeth to get AquaLung to fulfill a parts order to outfit the internals. Right now I don't see enough buyers to make it profitable or worth tying up what little cash I have for the years it would take to get it back.

3. Stainless steel J rods.
A couple of guys on the site made a batch of them. If they let me know who did it for them I could possibly do the same and have them in the store.

4. Brass screw sets for non-mag double hose regulators.

I had these in the store for 3 years an no one bought any...I'll buy some more and put them back in.
Steve
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

USdiver
Master Diver

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 am

Other thoughts for vintage equipment products and services:

1. find one of the original USD "hockey puck" molds for lead weights, manufacture the weights, 1" canvas or nylon belt and quick release buckle for sale.

2. expand services even further into vintage single hose regulators (there are just so many of them, so few of us).

3. offer some of the "not distributed in USA" diving products. Cressi's Pinocchio mask comes to mind (I ordered mine from Spain via internet), I'm sure that there are other products out there that are vintage design but modern manufacture.

4. if stocking vintage style wetsuits / drysuits is not feasible, maybe make a distributor/manufacturer's representative deal with the likes of Hydro-glove, Harvey's (beavertail wetsuits) and the aforementioned Body Glove. Vintage divers could one stop shop at VDH.

5. expand sales to include vintage diving dvds from horror films and early television like Creature from the Black Lagoon and Sea Hunt, to documentaries such as Cousteau's many films and television series, to soliciting original home movies from the 1950s - 1970s that feature divers and their equipment and putting it into a dvd format for sale.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Bryan wrote:I'll be glad to see what I can find....BUT please don't send anything to me that you are worried about getting back....If I have to make the diaphragms there will need to be at least one sacrificial lamb...... :shock:

No worries, I'll send you one that has seen better days, but still suitable for use as a pattern..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:45 pm

USdiver wrote:
1. find one of the original USD "hockey puck" molds for lead weights, manufacture the weights, 1" canvas or nylon belt and quick release buckle for sale.
I think Allan used to offer those.

USdiver wrote:
3. offer some of the "not distributed in USA" diving products. Cressi's Pinocchio mask comes to mind (I ordered mine from Spain via internet), I'm sure that there are other products out there that are vintage design but modern manufacture.
Cressi's Pinocchio mask is now available in the US:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... html?Hit=1
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:38 pm

USdiver wrote:Other thoughts for vintage equipment products and services:

As Luis said I think Allan is on to this one....

2. expand services even further into vintage single hose regulators (there are just so many of them, so few of us).

This is part of the reasoning behind the survey on favorite single hose regulators :wink:

Give me some item specifics and I'll work on them.... After DEMA I should have more access to other product lines as well

5. expand sales to include vintage diving dvds from horror films and early television like Creature from the Black Lagoon and Sea Hunt, to documentaries such as Cousteau's many films and television series, to soliciting original home movies from the 1950s - 1970s that feature divers and their equipment and putting it into a dvd format for sale.
Luis had a great idea and I am working on this right now. You can partner with Amazon for specific items that you can advertise on your site but they come directly from them. Cousteau and Sea Hunt DVD's good diving books etc. There will be no pop ups or any of that crap...In the store there would be a simple Amazon banner letting you know that when you buy something from a store link I get 4% of the sale price of the book or DVD. I passed the info to the website administrator and he will need to integrate it with the site....Great idea George!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

USdiver
Master Diver

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:07 pm

For non-US market products, here are some links:

1. This Turkish manufacturer seems to have the molds for the original Jet Fin, the full foot variety made by Beuchat before it was licensed as an open heal version to ScubaPro. Scroll down to the end to see them.

http://www.free-sub.com/turkish/aksesuar_palet.html

Also Beuchat itself has some vintage style masks, that I haven't seen for sale in the USA

http://www.beuchat.fr/index.php?id=31&cat=1&sscat=16
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Silicone grease in a useable size? Like Tridents 2oz container. Not that I use more then a tiny smidge on anyhting, but it adds up, and I always have a need. The last DA I bought must have had a whole ounce smeared in it.
-Geoff

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:47 pm

gj1963 wrote:Silicone grease in a useable size? Like Tridents 2oz container. Not that I use more then a tiny smidge on anyhting, but it adds up, and I always have a need. The last DA I bought must have had a whole ounce smeared in it.
I'll order again from Trident in a week or so and I'll add some to the order.

DrunkenParrot
Master Diver
First Name: Bryce

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:13 am

There have been some great ideas so far. I like the idea of Vintage Double Hose hat :P and also Stainless steel J rods would be great!!!
Image N.A.V.E.D. Master Diver #207
"Why Is The Rum Always Gone?"

kgehring
Master Diver

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:33 am

[quote="USdiver"]Other thoughts for vintage equipment products and services:

I made the round weights. I was never happy with the mold. They were about 90% accurate and weighed more than the originals. Originals were a cast metal. Not lead.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:06 am

capn_tucker wrote:
Bryan wrote:I'll be glad to see what I can find....BUT please don't send anything to me that you are worried about getting back....If I have to make the diaphragms there will need to be at least one sacrificial lamb...... :shock:

No worries, I'll send you one that has seen better days, but still suitable for use as a pattern..

I would be happy to donate a Healthways single hose diaphragm if you think it can be done. I believe the healthways single hosers all had the same diaphragm - the funky double parabola one.....

Also, more diaphragms for Sprtways double hose regs.. ie Hydro Twin...

I would buy a t-shirt and a hoody from VDH - but we're stuck with extra inventory on the Sea Life so I know how ordering T's and Hoody's can have the same effect as nails on a chalk board - they just don't always sell as quick as we think they will.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Your $2.50 reg bag is cool. Maybe some larger size VDH logo gear bags to fit everything (like Mike Nelson's shoulder duffle) and also some vintage repro lights?

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:45 pm

One last shot....

Import classic beaver tail type wet suits from Australia. They are available from Sea Hornet in Sydney.

http://www.seahornet.com/scuba/suitbootglovescuba.htm

Return to “General Discussions”