50Fathom
First Name: Michael

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Hello all. New to the site, but have been vintage diving since early this year, (February).

I'm 30 years old, been diving for almost three years now, and love it. I know it's "weird" to be a young guy into the "vintage scene", but I am into old-school motorcycles and cars, and this is sorta the same thing. My daily rider is a 1976 Honda and while new bikes are arguably safer and more comfortable than my old sled, I prefer riding that ancient machine. It's just more FUN. Same deal with old-school dive gear.

I'm lucky in that I work in a dive shop that had a retiring owner (71) who took a shine to me. He still comes around sometimes and we BS and such.

Anyhow, he was an old Navy diver from the '60s and has been diving since 1958. He had a bunch of "old beat up obsolete sh*t" in the shop, (his words, not mine), and he pretty much said I could have whatever I wanted. He also said, "I was diving that stuff when it was state of the art. You're a young guy with gear we couldn't even dream of. Why do you wanna dive this old junk?"

Me: "Because it's awesome."

Him, laughing: "You're outta your mind."

Maybe I am, but I'm digging this stuff. Got a TON of old gear that is gonna take some love to bring back, but hey, that's part of the fun. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as the projects roll on.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: New member

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Welcome aboard!

We're glad you've decided to join our ranks. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

DrunkenParrot
Master Diver
First Name: Bryce

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Welcome! Dont feel weird, I am about your age and it took me 11 years to see the light. Dont worry about asking questions that is what everyone is here for! Cheers
Image N.A.V.E.D. Master Diver #207
"Why Is The Rum Always Gone?"

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forums. Nothing wrong with those old single overhead cam inline fours. Solid machines. Where you from??

Jim

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Welcome to the Cult! (That's my standard "welcome banner")

There are some great folks on here that are damn near genius when it comes to DHers and the like. You may also feel free to pick my brain, but please bring tweezers. You'll need them.

Lisa

**Look out for Drunken"Danger"Parrott, he likes to dive without trunks. He said so and he posted a picture :D **
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

50Fathom

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm

swimjim wrote:Welcome to the forums. Nothing wrong with those old single overhead cam inline fours. Solid machines. Where you from??

Jim
San Marcos, TX. Middle of Hill Country.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Welcome aboard. looking forward to seeing some of that old beat up obsolete sh_t :D
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Welcome to the tribe. We're all addicts of dh regulators, and all things vintage diving in nature. Our heros include JYC and Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) and we watch too many old "B" movies just to see the dive gear. You'll fit in fine, judging from your name, 50 Fathom.

May the Voit be with you.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

50Fathom

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:02 am

USdiver wrote:Welcome to the tribe. We're all addicts of dh regulators, and all things vintage diving in nature. Our heros include JYC and Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) and we watch too many old "B" movies just to see the dive gear. You'll fit in fine, judging from your name, 50 Fathom.

May the Voit be with you.
LOL! Indeed. Love the Voit!

My current DH reg is a blue-can 50 Fathom which I rebuilt with parts from VDH and new hoses from The Scuba Museum. Turned the body inside the can so the venturi blows right down the inhale hose and adjusted the lever height to a hair trigger. Had it down to about 65 feet and it breathes great!

Got a single-hose MR12 from the shop that needs some love, a couple of Voit-stamped 72s, and some new-production "Voit" Duck Feet.

Of course, I also have a small (and growing) collection of USD stuff too!

I love this stuff. It's pretty addicting, and I love the fact that I can work on the stuff myself. I work as the reg tech in the shop, and while I have had no training in old DH regs, the operating principles are pretty similar, so I was able to rebuild and tune the 50 Fathom without any external help, (aside from parts, which I am ETERNALLY grateful are still available.) I do have some questions on the 50 Fathom, but I wa referred to Greg Barlow, and I will be contacting him shortly.

I'm currently rebuilding a Warner Ave-label DA Aquamaster and I will probably have questions on that one, but it sure looks like I found the right place.

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 am

Welcome! Come on in, the water is just fine. :)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

crimediver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm

I also restored my Voit 50 Fifty fathom. I bought it used in 1967 for ten bucks. I had been keeping it going scrounging NOS parts but last month I bought all new silicone diaphram, valves hoses, mouthpiece and duck bill eliminator from VDH and The Scuba Museum. I am pleased as punch with it. It works better now than it ever has.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:12 am

Welcome man. There are quite a few of us who are still in our thirties. Heck, Anna (my girlfriend), is 27. It doesn't matter, we all act 21 anyway. Hopefully we get to meet up with you sometime, drink heavily, and possibly dive.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Welcome to the Forum. The next generation has the fever. See Slonda I told you its contagious and you just sat hter smiled and drank another beer!!!! 8)
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Welcome!
I am a history buff and love the history of diving technology. I like vintage cars, motorcycles, scuba gear, mechanical watches and guns. Heck, even my daily driver car is 21 years old. I should have my other, older street car, a 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider running again soon. Replaced the fuel injection with side-draft carbs. Like the double hose regs, it performs very well and has lots of cool style to boot.
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

Return to “General Discussions”