Creed
Master Diver

Double hose reg in "Oceans" movie

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I just happened to catch the last bit of the movie "Oceans" which came out in 2009. There is a part with a man diving with a Great White, and he's using a double hose reg of some sort. Anyone happen to know him and what it might be? I presume that it is one of the main people of the film, either Jacques Perrin or Jacques Cluzaud. Here is a clip from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P172HpeOA
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Double hose reg in "Oceans" movie

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:05 am

Still can't make out the reg - yoke looks kinda heavy-duty though.

Seems he was diving more vintage than just the reg - looks like an oval mask, and sans BC :D

An interesting thing is his tank/harness though. I cant make out any bands. It looks a bit like a shroud over the entire tank.

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:11 am

The diver is former Cousteau crew member and biologist, Francois Serano and the regulator is a new Aqualung Mistral. The reason it was an Aqualung Mistral and not one of his Cousteau Spiro Mistrals is that the insurance company required a pressure gauge. The Companion book to the film has some more amazing images from that scene.

If you get a chance to see the French version of the film it is much better than the Disney edit released in the US.

-Ryan
"A little less conversation a little more action. . ." -Elvis

www.flashbackscuba.com

Drado
Master Diver

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:02 am

I guess that explains that short bit of hose sticking out on the side. Now that we know its a New Mistral, it becomes all so clear!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 am

They must have the diver attached to a float from the surface. Otherwise he would have sunk to the bottom because he is not wearing a BC.... :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm sorry, was he diving vintage? I couldn't take my eyes off the GIGANTIC WHITE SHARK! And how close he got to it. Very large cajones (the diver not the shark).
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:13 pm

He's not afraid...Didn't you notice the stick in his hand?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 pm

I think that the stick is actually some sort of writing board viewed from the side.

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Creed wrote:I think that the stick is actually some sort of writing board viewed from the side.
You think it's a huge slate?.....cause that is what I would bring on a dive with the WHITEs. :lol:
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Creed
Master Diver

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Aileron wrote: You think it's a huge slate?.....cause that is what I would bring on a dive with the WHITEs. :lol:
Heh, yeah, you can see the slate in the first picture linked in this thread, or in the video, when the shark comes up and bumps the slate while investigating the diver. My son was enthralled.

Drado
Master Diver

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 am

Probably writing his last will and testament...

Then again, I've only ever seen a shark in open water once - a small 4 foot black tip reef shark. Only felt excitement, and tried following it as it sped off...

On second thought, I did get to have several encounters with whale sharks in Sorsogon, here in the Philippines - but this was snorkeling, and not SCUBA. They once dropped us off into the ocean, and as soon as I got my bearings, I turned around, and there was this small city-bus sized fish heading for me with its mouth open. Fun.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 am

Aileron wrote:
Creed wrote:I think that the stick is actually some sort of writing board viewed from the side.
You think it's a huge slate?.....cause that is what I would bring on a dive with the WHITEs. :lol:
You too? :wink: :lol:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Sea Explorer wrote:
The reason it was an Aqualung Mistral and not one of his Cousteau Spiro Mistrals is that the insurance company required a pressure gauge.

-Ryan

The insurance company is Ok with him swimming with a large “White shark”… as long as he is using a pressure gauge. :?

I am just curious… how much would be the insurance premiums when you dive with white sharks? :roll:

Heck some life insurance premiums will go up if you dive below 60ft; Maybe they just don’t even ask about swimming with white sharks. :shock:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Aileron
Master Diver

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:30 pm

The phone conversation would go something like this:

"Hey Mom and Dad, I was on this liveaboard in the (where ever that was filmed)and we had the opportunity to dive with a 20 ft Great White Shark."......**crickets chirping**........"Yes, like the one in Jaws that ate everyone on the beach and was finally blown up Richard Dreyfus with a scuba tank. It was OK though, I was perfectly safe because I had my giant (great) white slate, no bouyancy device, double hose reg and vintage gear."

Click.....
NAVED #205

Drado
Master Diver

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:09 pm

You forgot:

"....and I had an SPG attached.: :D

Return to “General Discussions”