8dust
Master Diver

Need some So' Cal detective work...

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:12 pm

So who watches American Pickers on the History channel???

Tonight showed the fellows in southern California... among their other stops was a visit to the home of a man identified as "Jocko."

Well, Jocko had vintage dive gear comming out his ears... both hard-hat & scuba, SH, DH, in piles, in cases, on the wall... and the picker dudes weren't interested in any of it really, other than a spear gun and a Kirby hard hat, so that just leaves more for OTHERS! :mrgreen:

Sure would be nice to know who Jocko was... He said he belonged to a vintage diving club and did demos with the hard hat stuff. Also had a 24 year old Son who was paralyzed in a diving accident in a pool and was selling off stuff to help pay for rehabilation expenses. Not much to go on I suppose, but somebody might know somebody who knows him...

Sad circumstances, but seemed like a nice guy, with a whole lot of vintage gear to share...
Who are you Jocko.... :?: :?: :?:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Robohips77
Master Diver

Re: Need some So' Cal detective work...

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Just a comment. It probably has been up to six months since the filming and editing. I suggest google the show and see if the episode is listed.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

8dust
Master Diver

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh yes... the Great-and-Almighty Google knows everything....

Stay tuned. 8)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:43 am

checked the history channel website. No mention of it there yet. Would be difficult to use google since I think it links total number of hits as a sign of relevance to a search.

would like to be wrong though and find out who jocko is :D

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 am

The episode is called "Franks Big Shot".
The guys are dreaming of a California mega score when they stumble upon a salvage yard that's been in a family for generations. The place looks promising...but the owner has never let anyone inside. Can Frank and Mike talk their way in? Later, Mike eyes a rare brass diving helmet that comes with a high price tag. Frank zeros in on a rare car hood ornament that he gets appraised. And finally, a stop at a Mexican restaurant leads to a Wild West-style picking opportunity that ends up on the basketball court with Frank, aka "the Free Throw King."
You can download the avi file for this episode here (scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the free download link) 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:05 am

Not much detective work required. This is who you need to find.

Newsletter of the California Classic Equipment Divers
Jocko Robinson

Jocko was born and raised in the L.A. area and has had an interest in diving from an early age. He began SCUBA diving in 1968 while in the Army.

After the Army, he worked aboard the schooner, Lepchin. Jocko took care of the daily maintenance and tended to the diesel engines. He worked for three years at this job, traveling to many foreign countries.

Jocko continued to travel, as money would permit, to places like the Caribbean, South Pacific, the Orient, Europe, and North and South Africa. He lived in South Africa, before returning to the US.

In 1977, he went to work for "Dive and Surf" in Redondo Beach, as a SCUBA repairman, where he is still employed. While working there, he became involved with Marine Land, setting up their dive programs. It was at about this same time that he also took up sky diving, and later base-jumping.

Travis, Jocko's son, shares his dad's interest in SCUBA and actually started diving at 3½ years old! They also enjoy off-rode biking with "quads."

Since our groups beginning, Jocko has been one of our most active members. He has volunteered his help and donated countless hours of his time helping us with the equipment and lending a hand at the rallies.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 am

Sam Miller just sent me this to post.
read the post about Jocko -- Here is some Info for you to post

"re Jocko

I have not seen the TV show...

Jocko Robinson is and has been the full time repairman for Bob Meistral's Shop "Div -n-surf" for many many years. He is well versed in modern and antique diving equipment.

He is a very active member of the California Classic Equipment Divers (CCED). The CCED conducts all its meets in SoCal -- around the San Pedro harbor area where they dive classic helmets and antique SCUBA gear.

I am member number 23 in CCED and I recall SCUBACowboy (Dale) is also a member.

Some of you many have met Bob Meistral at one of the Legends of diving at Portage quarry.

Jocko's son had an unfortunate swimming pool accident about 3 or more years ago and is paralyzed from the accident.
21"
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks to all.
No sooner than I posted this, I typed "jocko / vintage diving" into Goog, and there he was.
I think we all leave an alarmingly big trail now a days.
Called and left him a message at work yesterday.
Hopfully none of this seems too creepy... don't want to look like a SCUBA STALKER :shock:
We shall see...
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Are you calling him just cause he was on the show? Or do you think he is interested in selling rare scuba gear at junk sales prices?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Just looked like a decent fellow, with stacks and piles of who-knows-what, and some very unfortunate circumstances.

My collection isn't near as sophisticated as some of yall's, but I thought if he had something extra cool, within my means, and the money would help out his family, then it was certainly worth a phone call.

Maybe it’s weird, and inappropriate, and dumb. I hope not. But maybe on the other hand, my taking an unscheduled break with my dive buddy Son from an otherwise very busy evening at that particular moment and catching the show and the story, well… maybe that was just a bit of synchronicity, and I really try to be open and listen to that stuff when it comes along. Lord knows, I have made a lifetime so far out of stumbling into all kinds of ultimately very positive opportunities. I would include my hooking up with this board among them.

Again, certainly worth a phone call. Life is too short not to knock on a few new doors… :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Nice sentiment Andy.

I do call first dibbs, however. :wink:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 pm

CONTACT MADE!

Seems like a nice fellow.

Will update as things progress.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Scuba Cowboy
Master Diver

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 am

Jocko Robinson is one of the most unigue characters I've met. He is a great guy who helped me accomplish my first few helmet dives. He rebuilt a couple doublehoses for me back before Bryan was doing it. I am a member of the Cal Classic Equipment Divers but haven't been able to get with them for quite a while. I last saw him at the Scuba Show or DEMA can't remember which. He was getting an award that was presented to him by the CA Wreck Divers. They don't come much better than Jocko. I saw the show the other night and was very surprised to see one of our own on it.
Dale Swift

usddude
Master Diver

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Good luck with your endeavor 8Dust. I hope there is a benefit to both you and Jocko.
Maybe no one else will beat you to it!! :wink: :wink:

usd

Return to “General Discussions”