YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Re: I would like to call it as it is

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Slonda,

The 82nd had M551 Sheridans, (lapes deplyable, but not droppable) but no self respecting tanker would call anything made of aluminum a tank. I had a platoon of M60A1 tanks on the border in Germany. By the time I got to Bragg, I had been through flight school and had an aero recon platoon, (air mobile troops who carried out recon when and where scouts and cobras couldn't fly). Basically, we were the eyes and ears of the division.

There is some great diving along the North Carolina coast. The Germans sank 400 ships in Operation Drum Beat before the US finally got British radar and put it in bombers. Then it was the U Boats who became the dive sites of the future. Steve

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm

I would love to dive the Carolinas. It's only 7 hours from me, so I really need to make it a point to get there sometime soon. You have done a lot of interesting things
Steve!
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Pony bottles were used a lot in the 60’s in the north east. Several dive shops would buy pallet loads of small O2 bottles and set them up as pony bottles. I have talked to a number of divers that have confirmed that they were popular all along the North East for deep dives.

I don’t understand why that is not vintage. :roll:

Mix gases dates back to the 30’s. I am not exactly sure when it was first used with Scuba, but for certainly it was used in the 60’s. Not used by recreational divers, but it was around.

:lol:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Allan you are one of my favorite people in the whole world. You have helped the vintage community expand in innumerable ways and have welcomed a lot of new divers and new products into the community. With that being said please go back and work on the next duckbill killer or testing regulator parts for us or writing extremely valuable equipment history reports that help to eliminate all the BS that people throw around about our gear.

But for the love of God let the nonsense about who's diving what and what goes what where when and stop mixing the years and stop mixing this gear with that gear die the slow painful death it deserves.

I really don't give a rats ass what anyone on this forum dives. If they want to wear a pink Tusa outfit from head to toe and strap on a vulcan knife and call themselves a vintage diver I could care less.....They are in their own world of denial and that's fine by me.

I stopped attending bike events because they were full of A-holes with phony kick starters, phony pan head covers on evo engines with phony tatoos all trying to call me "Bro" and telling everyone how "Real" and "Authentic" they are....SAME DIFFERENCE HERE.

VDH is a place that all divers are welcome to dive what they want....Now getting in NAVED or certain events that are strictly 100% authentic is a different story...Nor will there be a BC/computer/plastic/etc section on the forum....But if all a guy/girl knows is diving modern crap they are not going to jump in with both feet in 100' of water off a boat with a Broxton, harness, duckfeet and a snorkel....Maybe someday they will maybe they won't....If they want to buy a Phoenix or DA or some other stuff and learn how we dive over here then I say WELCOME....COME ON IN....Open your mind, check your attitude and welcome to the group. Enough said....Stop flogging a dead horse or this place will loose attendance and participation and pretty soon VDH will have a fire sale and then EVERYONE will be diving used ancient parts and crap once again and the vintage gear will go the way of the scrap pile..... I'm just sayin..Rant over :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm

No problem. I will retire as the Vintage cop.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:53 pm

simonbeans wrote:No problem. I will retire as the Vintage cop.
Don't give it up completely... I like hearing from you even when I am the one getting the "citation"! :?
The older I get the better I was.

Popeye
Master Diver

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Luis, re: Nitrox...

Early Oxygen Enriched Air (OEA)work based on rebreathers
The great physiologist Paul Bert first suggested the use of oxygen to improve decompression
in the 1870s (Bert, 1943). The early OEA diving was with a variety of different types of
rebreathers (remember that open circuit apparatus was not widespread until the 1950s). For
these, in virtually all cases the objective was to provide a gas for a diver to breathe under water,
and decompression efficiency was not considered at all or was a secondary objective. Henry
Fleuss probably made the first OEA dive somewhere around 1879. He developed a selfcontained
rebreather apparatus that used oxygen, and later made the transition to an air-based
mix (Bachrach, 1975). His apparatus actually worked, and was used for at least one salvage job.
Probably the first modern promotion of oxygen-rich mixtures was by Dr. Chris Lambertsen, who
recommended this approach in the early 1940s His orientation was based on his own equiptment he called SCUBA.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks Bernie.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

usddude
Master Diver

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Oh I feel wonderful!!! Ya'll said what I wanted to say. Said what I did not want to say. Did not say what I did not want to say. Did say what I did say. Said what I almost did say. Said some things that I wanted to say but did not. Did not say some things I did say. Did not say anything I would not say. Said things I would say if I only had a brain.
Does not have anything to do with vintage diving but I am studying a new book I got.

"Doubling Your Brain Power"

Going well....I can think and speak twice as fast now. Next book to study is..

"Double your Typing Power"

Also on my reading list is...

"Double your Vintage Diving Skills"

usd

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Me almost vintage compliant (courtesy of Herman):

Me eclectic:

Me modern:

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Nem

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm

N, I just think of you as vinclectic. :D
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 pm

This is how everyone should think of Nemrod....

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 am

No, no, no, no, Boss, that is not "vintage" Nemrod, that is classic Nemrod, gotta hit the big 60 to be vintage. Isn't that like a rule somewhere, maybe wanting to move that up to like 70 or something, huh? :shock:

Love,
Nem

Return to “General Discussions”