crimediver
Master Diver

Craigslist Score

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 pm

A few weeks ago I saw an add for two DH regs on Craigslist.
One was a DA Aquamaster and the other was a Nemrod Snark. The price for both was $200.

The add stated they were in great shape and diveable. I tried to respond to the add but had email difficulties and after a trying unsucessfully to get in contact with the seller I forgot about them as I was working out of town.

A couple of weeks later I saw the same add but the price was dropped to $100. This time my email got a reply and it turned out the seller was a guy I had bought a very nice 1971 VW camper from years ago. We also are both public safety divers and I have known him a long time. He is on a fire department dive team. He not only sold me the regs for the c-note but he also threw in a Nikonos 3 camera, a USD j valve, several j valve pull rods, five nice steel 72 tanks with backpacks and a brand new carbeurator for my VW bus. The neat part was when he went to get the tanks stored at a fire station he found out that they had been sent out for hydro testing so when I get them they should have a fresh hydro on them.

The regs looked good but the Snark is developing a split on the end of the hose that goes as far as the clamp. I don't have any knowlege of these regs or parts availibility. Is there a source for hoses? I am thinking about trying to glue it together and am wondering whether it is worth fooling with. I know one of you guys can tell me. Thanks-Jim

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: Craigslist Score

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Congrats on the awesome find! 8) Hopefully one of our many members might even have a line on the part(s) you need.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

kgehring
Master Diver

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Way to go. Glad they went to a VDH member. I emailed him but no response. It seems that most of Craigslist sellers dont want to deal with emails and want to sell local only.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

crimediver
Master Diver

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:12 pm

I think you are right about the Craiglist folks wanted to stay with local folks. When the seller realized who I was he laughed and told me he should have thought of me and offered them to me first as he knew I liked old gear. The seller is a great guy and I have had a lot of dealings with him professionally and have done some diving and kayaking stuff with him as well. It worked out nice for me this time but I usually strike out on Craigslist deals. This one paid off in spades.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:15 am

Great score! I have a Snark III Silver and I use a USD hose and mouth piece on it. I had an original Snark III and did the same thing with it. I've got one of Bryans green silicone sets on it now. I dove it a bunch at Portage in August by the way. For Nemrod parts, Annectens on this board may be able to help you out. Oh yeah, USD single stage diaphragms will work as a replacement if that is needed.

Jim

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 am

Occasionally Craigslist is good for something. A while back I scored a brand new, never used Voit 40 Fathom and a complete Voit wetsuit for $50. Sweet..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Ah, so that is what happened to those regs :)
I also saw them as the price dropped. When I noticed it hit $100, I was emailing, but never got a reply. I'll have to be content with the Voit 50 Fathom I scored for $20. :)

I've actually had really good luck with Craigslist. 2 DAAMs, a Royal Master and the Voit so far. I need to quit watching it, as my money is going to new projects instead of rebuilding what is on my desk now. Oh, the fun of the chase though....
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Return to “General Discussions”