Popeye
Master Diver

HDS's "The journal of diving history" spring 2010 arrived

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 pm

This issue has a few interesting articles for VDH'ers,

Vintage SCUBA article on "The Viking/Norseman Regulator" by Ed LaRochelle,

Books in Depth article on "The Porpoise,Australian Diving Technology the World Copied."authored and researched by Des Walters,des williams.melven brown and tony gregory,reviewed by Ed LaRochelle

Page 40 has my images from the 2009 HDS Great White Shark Dive trip last October to Guadalupe Island,Mexico with a few old and New friends from my West Coast days.

Plus other interesting Historical Dive information.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Re: HDS's "The journal of diving history" spring 2010 arrive

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Popeye,
Just read it last night. good stuff this issue. :D
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 am

"Books in Depth article on "The Porpoise,Australian Diving Technology the World Copied."authored and researched by Des Walters,des williams.melven brown and tony gregory,reviewed by Ed LaRochelle"

Strange to review a book when there are no copies available. Two of the authors are my diving buddies and the limited printing was sold out a long time ago. Some of my collection made into the book. They worked on it for a long time and I have never seen any diving book like it. It would be nice to see a similar double hose book.

I was surprised to read in Jean-Michele's new book that the Gagnan regulator was derived from a fire fighter's regulator. Phil's research is the most reliable I have read on the subject and I tend to believe his version, which was that it came from cooking gas conversion for French cars. Our memories are not always clear. I recounted my first dive to a friend and he told me he was there. I had no such recollection. Age is catching up on me too. Steve

Popeye
Master Diver

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:52 am

Steve,
Thanks for reply,strange I did a search and found the book was published in 2009?

"The "Porpoise" : Australian diving technology the world copied / authored and researched by Des Walters ... [et al.]
Book Bib ID 4593118
Format Book, Online - Google Books
Description [Albury, NSW : Des Walters, 2009].
169 p. : ill. (some col.), ports. (some col.) ; 30 cm.

ISBN 9780959027723

Notes "Porpoise (compressed air) Diving equipment"; "For the professional diver and amateur sportsman..."--cover.

"This document has been a collaborative project between four members (Des Walters, Des Williams, Mel Brown, Tony Gregory) of the Historical Diving Society SE Asia & Pacific, to record the achievements of a unique Australian diving pioneer (Ted Eldred). Collectively the group was known as 'Ted's Army."--p. 167.

Subjects Eldred, Ted. | Scuba diving - Equipment and supplies. | Scuba diving - History.

Other authors/contributors Walters, Des

Also Titled Australian diving technology the world copied."

the article ends with"limited publication,for availability contact Des Walters at [email protected], too I was hoping to get a copy for my collection,did you get a copy?

as for off topic reference to source of "gagnan regulator" I went to the source"The Silent World" in the first chapter , page 3 the air regulator is referenced as the size of a alarm clock,page 19 Emile Gagnan is introduced to us as an expert on industrial-gas equipment and at that time had a demand valve that was designed to feed cooking gas automatically into motors of cars,this is mentioned to be in December 1942.

I quess Mr. Nuytten read the same book as I did.

Sorry can't help you with your memory,"first thing to go is your memory and I forget what else."

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Des Williams told me on Saturday that there were no copies left. That was the source of my information. I am diving with him tonight. Tony Gregory had a a couple at the recent helmet course we did together. He and I shared a motel room. I can check with him if you want a copy. They did do one reprint I think.

Each of the writers took the remaining copies and sell them independently. Des Walters and Mel Brown are up in New South Wales, so I don't see them too often. They may have some too.

We are doing a helmet dive and double hose scuba demonstration at the Melbourne aquarium.Tonight will be an orientation dive for pictures to advertise the event. Steve

Popeye
Master Diver

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:03 am

FYI, e-mail reply from Des:

Hi Bernie,
Our first print run has sold out however we are organising a second run so I will put your name on the list and I will let you know when it is available. Airmail of the book to the states is Aus$22.
Regards,
Des Walters

wrcook
Skin Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Popeye

If we are making a list... put my name on it
Thanks
Bill
Bill & Kathy

DA-Navy ---- RENE 72 (1956)
Mistral ---- 38 (1955)
DA Aquamaster
Nav-Con

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:55 pm

I will buy one!
Karl
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Popeye
Master Diver

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Been off-line a few days,
Perhaps YankDownUnder would be in a better position to put togeather a group buy?
I'm on the road too much.

posted from Santa Fe,New Mexico

Return to “General Discussions”