antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Florida east coast hotels & dive operators?

Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 pm

We are driving to Florida after mid-June without any set plans, and could use some suggestions for good dive operations and decent but inexpensive places to stay in the Jupiter to Palm Beach area and Key Largo area. If you have some first hand suggestions it would be helpful. I haven't been in those areas since the mid 1980's. Sounds like the Sand Dog dives with Jupiter was good, but open to other suggestions too.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Bill & Francie
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Florida east coast hotels & dive operators?

Sat May 22, 2010 11:43 pm

If you are driving I-10 to Florida you'll pass about about 2 miles from the old homestead. If you have a minute stop by.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 am

I'll try to time it where we have time to stop and meet you if we take 10 instead of I-20. Thanks.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun May 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I have used The Silent World, out of Key Largo. The Bayside Inn is down there, and it is a little pricey, but worth it. Also, Deep Six out of Vero Beach is full of good people. I did my DM course with them last year. They have good charters and fair prices. If you plan on coming further north our LDS, diver's den of georgia, runs 3 tank charters for only 150 bucks and they go way off shore.

Silent World, Deep Six, and Silent World are all vintage friendly as well.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun May 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Ron, I appreciate the suggestions. How does Vero Beach diving compare to the Palm Beach area for reef quality and fish life? Francie has an Aunt and Uncle there, and we planned to visit them if they are in town at that time.
I still don't know the exact dates, and it may be somewhat of a last minute decision on where we go on a given day.

Thanks,
Bill

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun May 23, 2010 7:44 pm

I personally think Palm Beach is better than Vero, Jax, or St. Marys. JMO.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

JAdair
Lung Diver

Mon May 24, 2010 7:22 am

antique diver wrote:Ron, I appreciate the suggestions. How does Vero Beach diving compare to the Palm Beach area for reef quality and fish life? Francie has an Aunt and Uncle there, and we planned to visit them if they are in town at that time.
I still don't know the exact dates, and it may be somewhat of a last minute decision on where we go on a given day.

Thanks,
Bill
Vero Beach is not a "vacation destination" for diving. Low vis and cold water. You also have to go way off shore for any depth. Great for large lobster and spear-fishing. Gulf Stream takes a hard right past Jupiter and heads off shore.

For clear water/pretty fish Jupiter and south is the way to go. Lots of boats and if you are near Boca/Ft Lauderdale, lots of good beach diving reefs.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon May 24, 2010 7:36 am

JAdair wrote: Vero Beach is not a "vacation destination" for diving. Low vis and cold water. You also have to go way off shore for any depth. Great for large lobster and spear-fishing. Gulf Stream takes a hard right past Jupiter and heads off shore.

For clear water/pretty fish Jupiter and south is the way to go. Lots of boats and if you are near Boca/Ft Lauderdale, lots of good beach diving reefs.
Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming, as it is definitely helpful to our planning! :)

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon May 24, 2010 9:04 pm

If you make it to Key largo and decide on silent World, I have two rain checks for 3 dive trips each. let me know your plans and pm me if interested in these. Robohips
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Robohips77 wrote:If you make it to Key largo and decide on silent World, I have two rain checks for 3 dive trips each. let me know your plans and pm me if interested in these. Robohips
Is this your favorite dive op there? How about places to stay?
Thanks for any and all info...
Bill & Francie

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 pm

antique diver wrote:
Robohips77 wrote:If you make it to Key largo and decide on silent World, I have two rain checks for 3 dive trips each. let me know your plans and pm me if interested in these. Robohips
Bill & Francie

I liked the Pelican. Some of the rooms are small, but the price is right. Even the larger rooms are very reasonable and the place just gives you the experience of being in the keys.

Silent World has relatively small boats and they are vintage gear friendly. Some of the other outfits do have fancier and larger boats, but that would also mean more divers.

Jupiter Dive Center was also excellent when we were there, during Sand Dog.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 pm

I second Silent World and the Pelican. I have used both and was very satisfied. The Silent World people are laid back but very competent. The Pelican is not fancy but reasonably priced and has the laid back Keys feel.
luis wrote:
antique diver wrote:
Bill & Francie

I liked the Pelican. Some of the rooms are small, but the price is right. Even the larger rooms are very reasonable and the place just gives you the experience of being in the keys.

Silent World has relatively small boats and they are vintage gear friendly. Some of the other outfits do have fancier and larger boats, but that would also mean more divers.

Jupiter Dive Center was also excellent when we were there, during Sand Dog.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Luis and "Boiler", I appreciate the info. I like the idea of smaller groups, and hoping for "leave-me-alone" diving once they see we are ok. I checked out photos of Pelican and that just looks like a place I would like too.

You have all been very helpful in helping us make some plans on where to go.
I would still like a little more info on other suggested operations in West Palm area, but Jupiter Divers seems highly recommended too.

Thanks!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 pm

I really liked the PELICAN as well, even though one guy thought it was dangerous? :? Silent world was good as well. There are dive ops on literally every corner so my advice would be not to get sucked into signing up early and getting stuck with VOUCHERS if the weather stinks as many of us did.

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 am

1969ivan1 wrote:I really liked the PELICAN as well, even though one guy thought it was dangerous? :? Silent world was good as well. There are dive ops on literally every corner so my advice would be not to get sucked into signing up early and getting stuck with VOUCHERS if the weather stinks as many of us did.
I definitely plan to try out the Pelican and Silent World. I hesitate to to sign up early for anything, as one of the main ideas of this trip is to sort of go where the wind blows us and not do much advance planning. Thanks.

Return to “General Discussions”