8dust
Master Diver

Vintage dive in Nashville, sort of.

Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Case the news hasn't been on where you are, it's getting pretty wet in Middle Tennessee.
We live on Old Hickory Lake (Cumberland River) and at the moment it's about 8' above normal, and below the dam in downtown Nash, it's @ about 49'. If anybody needs some work, about 3/4 of the boat docks in the area have broke loose and drifted here there and everywhere. Going to be some cleanup involved.

Not every day you get to swim around in the back yard, so it seemed like a good chance.
Got to kinda watch out for water snakes though. :shock:

(needless to say, Mama was NOT in favor of this operation!)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Re: Vintage dive in Nashville, sort of.

Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 pm

dude looks like ur gonna have some work to do .dont work to hard my friend kind regards
Charlie

bbain
Vintage Diver

Wed May 05, 2010 12:04 am

Swimming in flood waters is potentially dangerous, not so much due to the physical dangers (currents, obstructions, etc.) which can be quite real, but also because such flooding often causes storm sewers and water treatment plants to discharge untreated waters into the rivers, leading to typhoid snd other water-borne nasties. Exposure suits, typically dry suits (for protection against scrapes, abrasions, etc.), and full face masks are usually recommended to minimize potential infsctions, along with up-to-date tetanus and typhoid vaccinations.

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "be careful out there."

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed May 05, 2010 8:42 am

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...

8dust
Master Diver

Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 am

bbain wrote:Swimming in flood waters is potentially dangerous, not so much due to the physical dangers (currents, obstructions, etc.) which can be quite real, but also because such flooding often causes storm sewers and water treatment plants to discharge untreated waters into the rivers, leading to typhoid snd other water-borne nasties. Exposure suits, typically dry suits (for protection against scrapes, abrasions, etc.), and full face masks are usually recommended to minimize potential infsctions, along with up-to-date tetanus and typhoid vaccinations.

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "be careful out there."
I hear you.

To be certain, I don't put myself in needless risk, and I would NEVER put my son in jeopardy of any kind!

Today, now 3 days on, it's getting pretty foul and is nothing I want to even wade in, however, we took that photo within a hour or so of it having stopped raining, it hadn't reached the sewer, and it was still nice an clean, almost. We were definitely not in any areas of current from storm run-off either. The mission was to swim from one side of the back yard to the other with a short loop around the small walnut tree in the second photo, but it was cold and we mostly just splashed around. It seemed like a, hopefully, once-in-a-lifetime chance and maybe some day when my son is in his 60's and I'm gone, he will look at the photo and laugh about some of the goofy stuff we got ourselves into and made Mom take a picture of.

On a more serious note, there are a lot of people in Nashville, downstream of the dam I am just above, that got hit pretty hard and lost everything. It's tough to beat the RedCross as a clearing house for monetary donations if a person was so inclined. They are always quick to show up and do good work at critical moments, but just an extra Prayer or two sent this way would be plenty generous, and would be something the folks of Nashville would really appreciate. Thanks again, Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Sun May 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey take care, and purify your water with some sodium chlorite drops. They are also called MMS or Miracle Mineral Solution. Handy to have in your home to purify water in case of emergencies.
Don't Drown, it will ruin your day!

Return to “General Discussions”