8dust
Master Diver

Closet Tech guys – Zeagle question

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:28 am

Closet Tech guys – Zeagle question

Let me preface this by saying that long before I became interested in The Way of the Double Hose, I was always pretty much of a minimalist. I dove for 20 years before ever adding an octo. to my rig and I never ever like(d) to be loaded down with a bunch of crap.

That being said, I passed this garage sale the other day (used dive gear in TN is a bit more thin than FL or CA!!!) and what is sitting there right up front, but this used and a bit muddy, rather nice Zeagle setup. Near as I can tell from their website, it is a TECH-10 w/ an additional 2nd wing and should have a lifting capacity in the range of 80+ lbs.!?!?

Well, I have absolutely NO interest in cave diving or in anything deep enough to require all the extra bottles this thing could support… but $45.00 did sound like a very good price… so I sat her in the truck and brought her to her new home.

My thinking is that the attached knife & 2 cam tank straps were worth almost that, and then the 2 wings (that do hold air) were a heck of a bonus.

The plan as I see it so far, is to leave 1 wing (prob. the one with the air2 on it) attached to the harness just to have laying around, and then to rig-up the other wing with a back plate of some type. I have been fooling with a horse collar lately, but I’m a fairly big guy, and it looks and feels like a big black doughnut around my neck. Not too flattering or comfortable, so it seems like a number of you guys use a wing sometimes and I thought I would see what I could put together from my newly acquired parts.

Questions:
1) Given what you can see in the photos, does it seem like I could use one of these for my plan?
2) Do I need to set it up on a SS plate? What would other options be, if any?
3) What am I not thinking of to make this work with my DH?
4) Although I would like a set of short doubles some day, all my tanks at the moment are singles. Why are the tank straps on this thing so darn long? Bailout bottle mounted on the side of a big single?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject, :)
Fred

Freddo
NAVED member #201

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Closet Tech guys – Zeagle question

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 am

8dust wrote:Closet Tech guys – Zeagle question

Let me preface this by saying that long before I became interested in The Way of the Double Hose, I was always pretty much of a minimalist. I dove for 20 years before ever adding an octo. to my rig and I never ever like(d) to be loaded down with a bunch of crap.

Questions:
1) Given what you can see in the photos, does it seem like I could use one of these for my plan?
2) Do I need to set it up on a SS plate? What would other options be, if any?

A: These harnesses work without a backplate if you want to keep it light and simple. You can readily convert from using singles to doubles. The wings and bands will move in to the inner two vertical strips of webbing for singles, and to the outer four for using doubles. The better option for doubles is to use stainless steel "butterfly" strips on the inside of the harness as a supporting "washer", and just bolt your doubles to the existing back piece through the grommet holes. That's much better than using the long nylon tank bands for holding your doubles. However, a metal backplate with its own straps will hold doubles more securely to you with less tank movement.

3) What am I not thinking of to make this work with my DH?
4) Although I would like a set of short doubles some day, all my tanks at the moment are singles. Why are the tank straps on this thing so darn long? Bailout bottle mounted on the side of a big single?

A: That long strap was made to go around double tanks. Get some regular sized ones to replace them for your single tank, and run them through the inner 2 vertical strips. When you get doubles mount them with bolts through the back like on a metal plate.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject, :)
Fred

The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Dude, you got a STEAL on that one :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Why yes, thank you, I don't usually make out so well. :D

Now some of you fellows who own one of these,... Can I take one of the wings off to use without all the rest of the stuff, and if so, what are some options to set it up on, and how?
Freddo
NAVED member #201

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Why yes, thank you, I don't usually make out so well. :D

Now some of you fellows who own one of these,... Can I take one of the wings off to use without all the rest of the stuff, and if so, what are some options to set it up on, and how?
Freddo
NAVED member #201

5thgrpben

Sat May 15, 2010 3:08 pm

I would just use the harness like Allan suggested.Back plates or back pack tend to change the regs breathing performance by locating the reg away from the sweet spot,More noticable when head down.Allan will do a great job setting you up.I'm a minimalist myself.The reason why I don't use an octo at all,Is because ,I dive alone 98% of the time( I DON'T ADVISE THIS AT ALL.) ,The other 2% is diving with friends.Your a wise man to have one.

The knife is in a great position for a right hand draw, One handed reinsertion may be a little tricky in close to zero" viz "(I Hate using that word.It's too padi.)and very low light dives.

5thgrpben

Sat May 15, 2010 3:29 pm

8dust wrote:Why yes, thank you, I don't usually make out so well. :D

Your zeagle retails for close to $800.You got a great deal.
The bladder has an 85 lbs lift.And yes ,You can remove one to reduce lift to 65 lbs with no real problem with changed balance,Raising or lowwering the tank on the strapes "may" be able to adjust the difference.

Return to “General Discussions”